Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
So while I‘ve been lusting after a new laptop, I recently stumbled upon my old 2007 15” MacBook Pro (3,1), which still works the treat (it’s the model notorious for GPU failure, it had a full logic board replacement back in the day with this issue). Anyways, I want to polish the old girl up and get her back to past glory, but one of the feet is missing. I’ve scoured Amazon, Ebay, Google, and even the forums here but haven’t come up with anything other than dead ends. Anybody have any leads I can at least try to chase down?

Any thoughts appreciated!

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Having the same but with MBP 2010. It's hard to find for a reasonable price. I still ignoring that, not a problem

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Having the same but with MBP 2010. It's hard to find for a reasonable price. I still ignoring that, not a problem
You can find feet for the 2010 MBP on eBay for $3. Just search "MacBook Pro [model #] feet".

Unfortunately I am unable to locate any for my 2006 either. :(

On second thought, is this an option? (I've never bought from this site before)

It is, because Apple’s own service repair guide suggests this glue-on solution.

If you’re familiar with how the OEM feet/base plug combo are assembled, the OEM rubber foot contains an off-centre prong which gets mechanically pressed through the base plug’s respective hole (also off-centre). The foot’s prong spreads outward and is wider at the tip. This tip anchors the foot to the base and holds the foot to the base plug hole from the inside. If you pull one out, it’s not impossible to re-seat it back through that hole, but it is prohibitively difficult.

1650763116918.png

In short, no glue is involved in the OEM feet/base combo. Apple realized it would be a lot easier to provide this remedial fix kit using part #076-1070 (i.e., the “case foot” kit, which includes a tube of super glue). It isn’t the same, but it was the only remedy Apple provided.

I’ve been at odds with this fix for a long time, preferring instead to source surviving foot/base plug combos where/if possible (way easier said than done, however).

Reactions: rampancy

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
It's kinda wild how if that tiny little case plug is missing, the whole fricking bottom case needs to be replaced.

I guess that's another reason why it's worth hanging on to MacBook Pros with dead GF 8600M GPUs...

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.