Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0bi0us0ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
NYC
Opening up my late MBP I messed up the membrane of my left speaker, an authorized Apple repair center quoted me 650 euros to replace the entire top case (the speakers are glued to the body of the MBP).
I managed to find a set of speakers for 70 euros harvested from a dead machine, so it is possible to remove them.
I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best way to soften the adhesive holding the speaker in place? Do I need to use heat? Is it the same glue use for the battery? Do I need to get the battery solvent from ifixit?

Thanks!

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Removing it is properly the easy part.
You will need to use a heat source, and properly some isopropyl alcohol to clean up residue. it can also help softening the glue.
The ifixit iOpener (https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iOpener/IF145-198-4) can be used if you do not want to apply a heat gun, or another source directly to the MBP. A hairdryer would properly do fine. You need to think about how much your heat source spreed, as blowing hot air might warm up the glue in other places too.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
not breaking anything else while doing so:D
But I can see from the ifixit teardown that you will be able to take almost all hardware out before doing the replacement. so you should be fine if you take your time doing the repair

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
without having looked under the hood in real life (only pictures) I would remove the logic board. this is mainly due to not being sure of how well the speakers is glued on, and how wires and other stuff goes around. also removing the logic board ensures that I would have one less thing to think about. I do have experience with removing logic boards in other MBP models and they tend to be removed easily. Just be aware and carefull disconnecting cables, especially the screen cable.

M0bi0us0ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
NYC
I removed the logic board once before when I had the ill fated idea of repasting the CPU with liquid metal (don't do it!!!)

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oh, you are a brave man. Have replaced TIM a bunch of times on older MacBooks, and will do it in a years time on my 2017. But I do not have the nerve to use liquid metal. Will be keeping with kryonaut

M0bi0us0ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
NYC
I applied conformal coating around the GPU and CPU but the liquid metal managed to fry a temperature sensor leaving one of the cooling fans constantly spinning at 110%. Thankfully the authorized repair center where I brought it in closed an eye and swapped the logic board under warranty.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.