Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
This might be a silly question, but I'm still going to ask it because I have no idea.

I have an ancient (but champ) mid-2009 MPB 15" that a few years back I upgraded to a two disk set-up taking out the HDD and the optical drive and replacing them both with Samsung SSDs.

The start up disk is starting to fail, and the space is also insufficient for my needs, so I'm replacing it with a new and much bigger SSD of the same type. I, however, don't remember which one of the SSDs is the main one, physically speaking. I'm not sure if it's the one in the original HDD place or the one in the optical drive space.

How do I make sure I take out the right disk? Any way to find this out before I open my mac?

Thank you for your help, and apologies if it's obvious to anyone else but me ;)

Last edited:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
hmm that's a good one! I would try to see what System Profiler can tell you, checking the (I assume) SATA report to see if you can glean any info. I would *assume* whatever is identified as disk0 would be the one in the normal HD spot, but that is merely a guess. You may need to experiment with it disassembled and power it on with one disconnected to see what's what. Maybe if you noted the serial numbers before installing, you could use that... but obviously no one does that.
Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Reactions: danakm

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
hmm that's a good one! I would try to see what System Profiler can tell you, checking the (I assume) SATA report to see if you can glean any info. I would *assume* whatever is identified as disk0 would be the one in the normal HD spot, but that is merely a guess.

System Profiler has given me nothing I can read as a clue (unless I'm missing something), and I'm not sure if the disk0 thing is enough to assume that either, but I have a gut feeling that's not the case...

Maybe if you noted the serial numbers before installing, you could use that... but obviously no one does that.
Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Ha! I know! I'm gonna physically label them this time around, but you know, hindsight is always 20/20 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: barbu

McTinker

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
To replace the drive, you have to open up the MBP anyway. So when you've noted down the serial numbers before shutting down, removing the bottom plate, and unscrewing one drive, you directly see the serial on the case (I have a Samsung 840 SSD right here in front of me). It's handy to have a USB to SATA cable at hand (they're quite cheap) to connect or even boot from the drive you replaced. Booting will take some patience, though....

Reactions: danakm

danakm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
To replace the drive, you have to open up the MBP anyway. So when you've noted down the serial numbers before shutting down, removing the bottom plate, and unscrewing one drive, you directly see the serial on the case (I have a Samsung 840 SSD right here in front of me). It's handy to have a USB to SATA cable at hand (they're quite cheap) to connect or even boot from the drive you replaced. Booting will take some patience, though....

That still leaves me with 50% chance I'll unplug the wrong one on the first try, but I guess it's better than nothing :p

Reactions: McTinker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.