Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello all,
I have a friend whose computer was running slow.
She brought it over and it is a Macbook Pro 7,1 2.4Ghz processor running 10.10.5. It had 4GB of RAM installed in it, but was only recognizing 2GB from one chip. I replaced with a known good 4GB chip for a total of 6GB but the bank would go in and out of working. So I think her RAM slot 1 is dead.
As such, I would like to put this 8GB chip in the one working slot. Can this model have a single 8GB chip in Bank 0? Or does that exceed the specifications?

Here is the chip I would order:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GB/

Sorry if this question is silly, just want to make sure before I purchase that it can be done.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know how much you fiddled with the RAM slot but some compressed air should at least be attempted. Also, a few inserts/removes could help clean the connectors in case that's an issue.

Everymac.com says that model can use two 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB so, in that respect, the Mac will see 8GB per slot.

Does the Mac run with the 4GB in the good slot with the other empty? I think that's your answer though even if it does it won't be running at maximum efficiency.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If it's a 13 inch it'll take it if it's a 15 or 17 inch it won't take it, for some reason the 2010 MBP's were split with the 13 able to take 16gb but not the bigger ones.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"As such, I would like to put this 8GB chip in the one working slot. Can this model have a single 8GB chip in Bank 0? Or does that exceed the specifications?"

I'm guessing that will work fine, to "get the most" out of the single "known good" slot.
One does what one has to do.

Aside:

While you're "in there", why not install an SSD as well, if she doesn't already have one in place?
That made a GREAT performance improvement in my own 2010 MacBook Pro.

I'd suggest either a Crucial or Sandisk Plus SSD (from amazon). No need to spend any more, as the 2010 MBPro's have only a "SATA-2" bus, which limits the "top speed" from SSD's in any case.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Aside:
While you're "in there", why not install an SSD as well, if she doesn't already have one in place?
That made a GREAT performance improvement in my own 2010 MacBook Pro.

I'd suggest either a Crucial or Sandisk Plus SSD (from amazon). No need to spend any more, as the 2010 MBPro's have only a "SATA-2" bus, which limits the "top speed" from SSD's in any case.

I second this and know the speed gains will be much more from the SSD than from the additional RAM.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Everymac.com says that model can use two 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB so, in that respect, the Mac will see 8GB per slot.
If it's a 13 inch it'll take it
Perfect, these were the two things that I was making sure of. That the machine can handle that high of RAM in a single slot. So thank you both.
I'm guessing that will work fine, to "get the most" out of the single "known good" slot.
Right, this was my thinking, put the MAX RAM in the one good slot.
I second this and know the speed gains will be much more from the SSD than from the additional RAM.
I third this, and agree that an SSD would be better for the speed improvement, but right now she is just trying to get it to 'working' order not particularly looking for an 'upgrade'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.