Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1i3to

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Hello Apple watch experts :)

I am enjoying my new toy but there is something that seems to be wrong with it:
After i am not using the watch for a week or so it stops charging. It shows me the green charging "snake" but iwatch won't turn on. Last time i let it discharge it was "charging" for 3 days before it finally turned on. This time it's charging for 1 day already and still won't turn on.

Tried resetting / rebooting: does nothing
Tried different charger: does nothing
Tried charging from power network and from mac usb port: nothing

Any idea what the problem might be or how to approach Apple support? I am not a fan of this idea where i go on a business trip for a couple of days and my watch won't work for 3 days afterwards :)

1i3to

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
"different charging puck"?
I tried different charger from my friends iwatch, yes.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
"different charging puck"?
I tried different charger from my friends iwatch, yes.
Charger is an often used incorrect term (as is iWatch;)). Most people refer to the adaptor (wall wart) as the charger. However the charger is actually located inside the :apple:Watch (or iPhone). The puck is of course the magnetic disc that plugs into the adaptor (wall wart).

So you tried your friend's adaptor/puck on your :apple:Watch and it didn't work? If so it sounds like you have a charger (inside the :apple:Watch) or battery issue.

1i3to

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I am getting a bit confused :)
I tried different USB cords that connect my :apple:Watch to USB for charging purposes (to iMac or wall plug).

I am hesitant to believe that there is a hardware problem since my :apple:Watch was charging fast and without problems in-between issues. The battery is also quite healthy as it actually survives for 2 days with considered use. The problem only occurs when :apple:Watch is left discharged for a 5-7 days.
On the other hand what else can it be...

My issue is described here: http://www.cultofmac.com/398919/mysterious-snake-apple-watch-error-heres-what-it-means/

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
I am getting a bit confused :)
I tried different USB cords that connect my :apple:Watch to USB for charging purposes (to iMac or wall plug).

I am hesitant to believe that there is a hardware problem since my :apple:Watch was charging fast and without problems in-between issues. The battery is also quite healthy as it actually survives for 2 days with considered use. The problem only occurs when :apple:Watch is left discharged for a 5-7 days.
On the other hand what else can it be...

My issue is described here: http://www.cultofmac.com/398919/mysterious-snake-apple-watch-error-heres-what-it-means/
Try the following or go to .

From your own article
"We contacted Apple Support for some guidance as to what that Apple Watch error means, and the representative offered some suggestions. The representative said that it was likely a Recovery Mode prompt like that extra-fun message you’ll get on your iPhone when it prompts you to plug the device into iTunes. Possible solutions (in order of severity) are restarting the Apple Watch, unpairing and re-pairing the device with its companion phone, or just resetting the whole thing.

Unfortunately, Apple also said that the error could signify a problem with the Watch’s battery. In that case, if the previous suggestions don’t work long-term, people seeing that image will have to make a repair appointment at the Apple Store."

1i3to

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Those suggestions make me feel awkward - the watch is essentially turned off. I can't pair with it, it doesnt respond to holding buttons and surely i can't reset it from the phone (since those 2 are disconnected)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Those suggestions make me feel awkward - the watch is essentially turned off. I can't pair with it, it doesnt respond to holding buttons and surely i can't reset it from the phone (since those 2 are disconnected)

Well, you said last time it turned on after 3 days, right? So your options right now is to wait some more, or to contact Apple. Sorry.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you tried putting the puck on the back and holding both the crown and button in until the Apple logo is displayed. Could take 10+ seconds

1i3to

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks guys, i appreciate your help.
I don't have any extra warranty, so ye.. let's hope it will turn on)

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks guys, i appreciate your help.
I don't have any extra warranty, so ye.. let's hope it will turn on)
Are you connecting the puck cable to the small charger wall plug or the 10w iPad type of charger? Can this be the problem? Just thinking if there's a cable/charging issues vs  watch issue.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Are you connecting the puck cable to the small charger wall plug or the 10w iPad type of charger? Can this be the problem?....
Wouldn't matter since the charger (in the :apple:Watch) dictates the power. Also the OP also stated they tried the USB port on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.