Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
I'm looking for colorful, "contrasty" images from a 5d at maximum resolution, RAW format preferred (so I can tweak it without loss.) I'd like to compare a print of my image to a print of yours to determine whether my Rebel's lack of resolution is robbing me of some beautiful prints.

I've recently picked up an Epson R1800 and have been making prints of images from my digital rebel. The print size is enourmous - the common format for this printer is 13x19 in, which are almost exactly the dimensions of an ACD 23in. However, at that size, the prints seem either grainy or pixelated.

Images from 5d preferred, but other high resolution shots are fine too.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
well to get a 13x19" print from a rebel, it is going to have some mpixelation.

you should try the photoshop plugin " genuine fractals " i can make huge printst with my 8.3MP 1dmkII files.

i have a 5D as well, i will see if i have any pictures i could spare for you

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
I appreciate any pictures you send my way. Is there a standalone application equivalent to the genuine fractals plugin (or a way to do the same in Aperture)?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
I'm looking for colorful, "contrasty" images from a 5d at maximum resolution, RAW format preferred (so I can tweak it without loss.) I'd like to compare a print of my image to a print of yours to determine whether my Rebel's lack of resolution is robbing me of some beautiful prints.

I've recently picked up an Epson R1800 and have been making prints of images from my digital rebel. The print size is enourmous - the common format for this printer is 13x19 in, which are almost exactly the dimensions of an ACD 23in. However, at that size, the prints seem either grainy or pixelated.

Images from 5d preferred, but other high resolution shots are fine too.

When you're looking at it, are you holding the sheet in your hand and staring at it from a distance of 15 cm (1/2 a foot) or something? That probably won't help. Use a reasonable distance and see if it still looks bad, because lets face it......people don't look at a photo with their noses pressed against it.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Make sure you go through the print settings making turning on all the high quality and photo settings. Then save those settings. I had to do this to get decent prints from my photo printer. I don't know why aperture doesn't turn those on by default.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
jared_kipe said:
Make sure you go through the print settings making turning on all the high quality and photo settings. Then save those settings. I had to do this to get decent prints from my photo printer. I don't know why aperture doesn't turn those on by default.

I am not aware of any program that automatically set the printer drivers for optimum quality. Maybe you know one? I don't think Apple writes the printer drivers do they?

Aperture would need to know a whole lot about a large number of drivers to pull that trick off. Plus the optimum settings change depending on the paper you have loaded so that information would be needed too.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Anything? D200? 1D? D2X? You're holding out on me, guys.

Maybe if you posted some JPEGs from your DRebel in order for us to see your concern.

We also need to have an email or other site to be able to post these large files. Dpreview has sample images done in the JPEG format that have done well for me on other cameras, upsizing in PSCS2 to the 13x19 size. I used this method in deciding on getting the Panasonic LX1/Leica D-Lux 2. And it worked for me.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What determine the resolution in a print is "pixels per inch" NOT the total pixel count. But it turns out the pixels per inch is proportional to the square root of the pixel count. Use this relationship to compare possable prints that can be made.

For example the 5D has 12,8MP the Rebbel 8.1MP the square roots of these are 3578 and 2846 the ratio of the 5d to rebel resolution is 3578/2846 or about 1.25 So for a given pixels per inch the 5D can make prints about 125% larger then the Rabel. Really not much of a gain.

The 5D does have the larger sensor so you will be using longer lenses that have different depth of field and different perspective so the "look" of the photos will more closly match 35mm film but do not buy the camer just to get 4 more megapixels unless you really do ned that 125%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.