Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I can find them refurbished by online retailers for around $1000-1100. Yours most likely has an old battery and isn't accompanied by a warranty. I don't know whether the charger is in good condition or not. I would say probably $700-800 unless you find a buyer who is lacking in sensibility. Go down from there if it has screen problems or heavy cosmetic damage. If they may actually need to spend money on battery service, a new charger, or anything else.

You can of course list it higher, but I don't think it's a good value for anyone above that. I'm assuming this is a 15". Also note that like the 2011s they do have some known graphics problems. They just aren't anywhere near as bad as the 2011s. The repair program lasts through the end of this year. After that it's on whoever buys it if the motherboard dies. Depot repair is around $350, so it's not exactly trivial.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I sold my mid 2012 base spec 15" RMBP for about £800 a few months ago in prep for new macbook redesigns this year.

I did it way too ealy as I am having to get by with a horrible work issues Lenovo for the time being.

I am so ready for the new MBPs

The Reasonable One

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Secret Bunker Testing 2018 17" MBP
I can find them refurbished by online retailers for around $1000-1100. Yours most likely has an old battery and isn't accompanied by a warranty. I don't know whether the charger is in good condition or not. I would say probably $700-800 unless you find a buyer who is lacking in sensibility. Go down from there if it has screen problems or heavy cosmetic damage. If they may actually need to spend money on battery service, a new charger, or anything else.

You can of course list it higher, but I don't think it's a good value for anyone above that. I'm assuming this is a 15". Also note that like the 2011s they do have some known graphics problems. They just aren't anywhere near as bad as the 2011s. The repair program lasts through the end of this year. After that it's on whoever buys it if the motherboard dies. Depot repair is around $350, so it's not exactly trivial.

Yah, I actually got the graphics replaced (on 15") and while they did that replaced pretty much the entire insides besides the hard drive. So it is basically 6 months old.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yah, I actually got the graphics replaced (on 15") and while they did that replaced pretty much the entire insides besides the hard drive. So it is basically 6 months old.

If you got it replaced as part of the graphics fix it is likely that Apple used a refurbished Motherboard. They seem to have run out of the new ones a while back.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I'm not sure I would view it that way. My own personal luck with repairs hasn't been "like new", although that's definitely much newer. In that case you might consider looking at what online retailers ask for them. I used macofalltrades for the last reference. Ebay is a decent reference as well if you look up completed listings. Craigslist is terrible, because many people do not post sensibly priced items.

Reactions: The Reasonable One

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I'd say you would get $700-$800 for it depending upon the condition.

I had the 2012 2.7/16/750 in mint condition and sold it for about $1200 in May, but it took about a month of low-ballers on craigslist before that happened.

Reactions: The Reasonable One
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.