Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexMaxim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hey there guys,
I hope that this message finds you all in excellent spirits, and that you are having a great day.

I have a problem that has me totally stumped: for a number of years, we have successfully been running RescueTime (https://www.rescuetime.com/) on a 15" 2012 MacBook Pro (mid-2012, Retina). (We have kept this machine running OS X 10.8.5 all this time, so there is probably no issue with operating system updates.)

A few weeks ago, the RescueTime app suddenly stopped logging time from this computer.

When we go to Preferences within RescueTime, we receive an error message: 'Could not connect to the RescueTime servers'. There is also some text about our Firewall settings causing this problem. However, our Firewall settings specifically allow incoming connections from RescueTime.

We have tried the following potential solutions (some of them suggested by the app developers) in an attempt to resolve this mysterious quandary:
  1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app;
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of the app from Time Machine;
  3. Turning off our Firewall;
  4. Running RescueTime from a new admin account; and
  5. Running RescueTime from a guest account.
None of these have worked.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to get RescueTime working again?

Thank you for reading this post. Any guidance is sincerely appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.