Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Hey as im new to the Apple Enviroment i would like to ask how much yall think i will be getting for a MacBook Pro 14“ M1 Pro (10Core CPU 16Core GPU) with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD (would get it for 2.4k from amazon) if i will buy it now and sell it in about 1 year (so August-September 2023). I assume to not damage it or smth thats not normal after 1 year. So it will look like it normaly looks after 1 year of use.
Anyone can give me some numbers i can excpect? Need to know this for the decision which MacBook Pro ill get.
Thank yall in advance!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you plan for 80% of what any new computer costs from Apple, then getting more will be a nice surprise. Exactly how much depends on whether the M2 MBPs have been released. Buying a discounted computer lessens its depreciation.

Reactions: LegendJxli

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
If you plan for 80% of what any new computer costs from Apple, then getting more will be a nice surprise. Exactly how much depends on whether the M2 MBPs have been released. Buying a discounted computer lessens its depreciation.
So about 1.5-1.8k should be real?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So about 1.5-1.8k should be real?
Plan for around 80% of whatever the computer costs new from Apple.

There are other variables which could affect your resale value. For example, if Apple keeps the M1 14" but sells it for a bit less than now your resale would be worse, but if the Air is any indication, they will. keep sellignthe M1 14" for what it costs now and the M2 14" will be a couple hundred more. You have to decide what is more important, slight differences in resale or having a new computer to use.

And of course being able to get the computer at a discount can help offset these differences in resale.

Last edited:

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022

There are other variables which could affect your resale value. For example, if Apple keeps the M1 14" but sells it for a bit less than now your resale would be worse, but if the Air is any indication, they will. keep sellignthe M1 14" for what it costs now and the M2 14" will be a couple hundred more. You have to decide what is more important, slight differences in resale or having a new computer to use.

And of course being able to get the computer at a discount can help offset these differences in resale.
Yea nah its more like i get a Laptop that fits my needs now and sell it in 1 year as i go to collage or maybe not thats why i consider buying the cheaper one.
Or get an overkilled for this 1 year and just say i go to collage and i know i need that power then. The problem is if i will not go to collage (not 100% sure now) the expensive would be a bit useless. Not completely but like i would not need that power. And i cant wait till next year.
So i either get 14“ MBP M1 Pro (10Core16Core) 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD now for 2.4k and sell it next year if i go to collage or keep it of not
OR
I get the 16“ MBP M1 Max (10Core24Core) 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD now for 3.3k and just say yea i will go to collage tho im not sure if i will go. Ik i could sell it next year too but for now its prbly overkilled and i guess the expesinver the mac the less i will get in 1 year cause no one needs so much power that buys 2nd hand…

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yea nah its more like i get a Laptop that fits my needs now and sell it in 1 year as i go to collage or maybe not thats why i consider buying the cheaper one.
Or get an overkilled for this 1 year and just say i go to collage and i know i need that power then. The problem is if i will not go to collage (not 100% sure now) the expensive would be a bit useless. Not completely but like i would not need that power. And i cant wait till next year.
So i either get 14“ MBP M1 Pro (10Core16Core) 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD now for 2.4k and sell it next year if i go to collage or keep it of not
OR
I get the 16“ MBP M1 Max (10Core24Core) 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD now for 3.3k and just say yea i will go to collage tho im not sure if i will go. Ik i could sell it next year too but for now its prbly overkilled and i guess the expesinver the mac the less i will get in 1 year cause no one needs so much power that buys 2nd hand…
Get the 14", and stop thinking about one year.

If you don't go to college it will meet your needs for four years.

If you go to college and aren't doing anything too demanding, it will meet your needs for four years.

If you go to college for something really demanding, it will still meet your needs for at least half your time at college.

If you are still convinced that you will need something particularly powerful after two years, buy a used 16/512GB or 16/1TB M1 MacBook Air. That computer will meet your non college needs for several years, and you can still sell it for close to what you paid used.

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Get the 14", and stop thinking about one year.

If you don't go to college it will meet your needs for four years.

If you go to college and aren't doing anything too demanding, it will meet your needs for four years.

If you go to college for something really demanding, it will still meet your needs for at least half your time at college.
Yea i think thats the best idea. I need a better one prbly cause they said 32GB of RAM…

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

That sounds pretty optimistic, although I have not been in the market for a used laptop for a long time. However, Apple sells refurbished Macs and the price is typically 15% less than new. But they have the full Apple Warranty and look/work the same as new. Personally, I would pay 5% more ($120 in your example) to get a "like new" Mac from Apple with full warranty instead of a used one from a private seller.

Now there was some talk recently that Apple was no longer selling refurbs for 15% off, but I suspect that could be a temporary thing due to shortages of new ones.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That sounds pretty optimistic, although I have not been in the market for a used laptop for a long time. However, Apple sells refurbished Macs and the price is typically 15% less than new. But they have the full Apple Warranty and look/work the same as new. Personally, I would pay 5% more ($120 in your example) to get a "like new" Mac from Apple with full warranty instead of a used one from a private seller.

Now there was some talk recently that Apple was no longer selling refurbs for 15% off, but I suspect that could be a temporary thing due to shortages of new ones.
I thought refurbs were closer 10% off these days, but you may be correct about 70% being more realistic. Just because refurbs exist doesn't mean that user buyers know about them and used prices probably reflect that. The OP should look at what used Macs are going for in their area.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just had a quick look at one example, a 13" 2020 MBP 8gb/512gb is $1229 refurbished from Apple, it says the original price was $1449. That would be about 15% off.

But the interesting thing is that MacSales (aka OWC) shows the same model for $999 and says it's a certified "like new" Apple Refurb, which is less than 70% of list price. The difference appears to be that it only has a 90-day warranty from OWC. Nevertheless, that's still better than a private seller IMO. I bought a refurb 2012 quad Mini from them in 2016, it looked new and has been perfect ever since (did lots of video/audio editing with it initially, now it runs 24/7 as a headless server).

Anyway, I agree you should look at used prices in your area. If you can really get 80% then that's great. Doubt that I'd spend that much for a year old Mac from somebody I don't know, with all the possible hassles if there's a problem.

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
I thought refurbs were closer 10% off these days, but you may be correct about 70% being more realistic. Just because refurbs exist doesn't mean that user buyers know about them and used prices probably reflect that. The OP should look at what used Macs are going for in their area.
70% is still quite good...

Reactions: Boyd01

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Congrats. That's a great computer enjoy.
What are you going to school for?
Thank you!
For now i need to do duty (some thing in austria). Just finished Highschool where i learned Software Engineering and want to go to college next year (graphic design or digital art) but dont know if i the right person for that (im not that creative, like im not bad or non creative but there are people out there that are more creative and i cant draw really well but i will try to learn until then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.