Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I'm sorry, but the more reviews for camera stores I look at on that site, the more sure I am that gray market companies just create new accounts to review their own stores. Punctuation is always perfect and the vast majority of the time the reviewers have only reviewed one place.

tomw2nd

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I'm sorry, but the more reviews for camera stores I look at on that site, the more sure I am that gray market companies just create new accounts to review their own stores. Punctuation is always perfect and the vast majority of the time the reviewers have only reviewed one place.

I've seen that happen before. Sometimes the companies probably do exactly what you say. Other times, they just encourage people to leave reviews for them...

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
pretty sure the bad apples will still get the worst scores, a lot of them.
and if a store has good scores, but only a few, I still wouldn't buy from them.

Basically, I won't consider a store if it has less than 150 or so reviews.

edit: I take that back. I often don't use resellerratings, just because I know Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Buydig, etc, are reputable. If a friend of mine asks me about a 'special' they've seen, THEN I check that site. But if you're buying from a big store, you don't really have to worry about grey market anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.