Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eirini_Grigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Bristol
My Macbook pro got stolen during the weekend.
I am wondering if they are able to reset it to factory settings without needing to type my apple ID and password ?
Also if by any chance do manage to do it, does anyone know if my macbook will be still shown on my find my iphone app, or it should have automatically be removed?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is the model of the MacBook?

The thief may be able to reset it to factory but that depends on the model.

The MacBook may still appear in your list of devices but should eventually disappear if the iCloud account is removed from the MacBook.

This is based on my experience with an early 2015 air.

Eirini_Grigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Bristol
Thank you for your reply.

Its a Macbook Pro A1398.
Sad to hear that they can, I hope not to be very easy!
I managed to track the location (1.5days ago) ...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you have filevault enabled? That will help with the protecting your information.

I'm not familuar with A1398, what year is the MBP from? Odds are its gone for good :(

Eirini_Grigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Bristol
It was from 2015.
I am trying to stay positive..
I am not aware of firevault, is that a built in program or an extra that I should install ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am not aware of firevault, is that a built in program or an extra that I should install ?
Part of the OS, and it encrypts your data, so no one can steal it, i.e., see your tax returns (if they were stored on the mac).

Eirini_Grigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Bristol
What is the model of the MacBook?

The thief may be able to reset it to factory but that depends on the model.

The MacBook may still appear in your list of devices but should eventually disappear if the iCloud account is removed from the MacBook.

This is based on my experience with an early 2015 air.

A week later someone tried to turn it on again, I had asked to be locked as soon as is next connected to the internet . So now the macbook is locked and hopefully useless to them. Do you know if someone still be able to rest it to factory settings if its locked?Thank you in advance!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A week later someone tried to turn it on again, I had asked to be locked as soon as is next connected to the internet . So now the macbook is locked and hopefully useless to them. Do you know if someone still be able to rest it to factory settings if its locked?Thank you in advance!
Unless the Macbook has a firmware password, the Macbook can be reset. Even with a firmware password, the person may be able to remove the password and gain full use of the Macbook; however, access to the drive's data may be possible but it's unlikely someone would take the time to retrieve the data as it would not be easy to do.

Eirini_Grigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Bristol
Thank you for coming back to me, I believe this is what the locked mode does. You remotely lock your Mac with a firmware passcode for one-time use. The fact that a week later haven't manage to break into and disconnect it from my Apple ID account makes me think that they are maybe not very good at hacking! Hopefully I will manage to truck it again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.