Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcorbbrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
I recently upgraded my original internal 750GB disk drive to a new SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD. Before installing, I cloned the original drive to this new SSD. After install, I realized there was an unallocated amount of free space (209.91GB) that I unintentional partitioned. I've tried to resize the drive numerous times via various tutorials and google searches with no luck. Can anyone help?

Specs:
2011 Macbook Pro 17"
OSX 10.11 El Captain

This is what happens when I try to resize via Internet Recovery Mode & Disk Utility:

IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Positive it's Internet Recovery and not the local Recovery Mode?

If yes, create a new partition matching the unallocated space. See if that works. If it does, delete it again and see if you can resize the existing one then.

Reactions: kcorbbrock

kcorbbrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Positive it's Internet Recovery and not the local Recovery Mode?

If yes, create a new partition matching the unallocated space. See if that works. If it does, delete it again and see if you can resize the existing one then.

Ok. After giving up on Terminal Commands, I don't think this was the best way but I fixed it. There was a difference between local recovery & internet recovery. This allowed me to format the whole drive, then restore to Lion, then update to El Captain. I had all of my data backed up prior with an enclosure. I can dump what I want back onto computer manually.

Reactions: Weaselboy

kcorbbrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Run each of the two commands below in Terminal, then tell us the output of the command.

Code:
diskutil list

diskutil cs list

Resolved, but thank you.
I had tried to use terminal before without much luck. I followed a variety of diskutil steps via apple.stackexchange.com and I never quite got to where I needed to be. I guess, I should of came here first.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Resolved, but thank you.
I had tried to use terminal before without much luck. I followed a variety of diskutil steps via apple.stackexchange.com and I never quite got to where I needed to be. I guess, I should of came here first.
Those commands would have showed us how the partitions were laid out, and maybe with that I could have helped. But glad to see you got it sorted. :)

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Resolved, but thank you.

Those commands copied and pasted would have worked, no luck required. Glad its sorted but perhaps it could have saved you some effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.