Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsherid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Using Photoshop, I'm trying to resize my large photos to the standard 4x6 inches for printing and then framing. However, once I get it down to 4x6 INCHES, the PIXELS become 432x288 and the filesize dramatically decreases (from megabytes to kilobytes). Then, when viewed at actual size, they're very small. Why is this? How do I get them to be actually 4x6 inches to be printed? Thanks.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
You have to resize the DPI/PPI as well. Although you can't just up the number because it's effectively stretching your image.

A good printed image should be 300 dpi so for a 4x6 it would be 1200x1800 px

run-kmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Actually, don't bother setting a dpi. It doesn't matter. You could set it to 1. You could set it to 8 million. Doesn't make a difference. All you need to do is to crop your image to a resolution that is a multiple of 2x3. That could be 200x300 pixels. It could be 1200x1800. It could be 4000x6000. That's the aspect ratio you want.

If you're ordering prints, you're done. If you're printing yourself, you'll have some adjustment to make when you actually go to print.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
don't bother resizing the image, just make sure it's in the proper aspect ratio. crop if you need to. in this case, you want 3:2. I find software like Lightroom, Capture NX, or Aperture have a better way of doing this than Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.