Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccoops

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Trying to follow the advice for upgrading macos: dual booting a "production" environment and a "test" environment, but struggling to increase my test environment partition.

Both partitions are working and both are currently on Sonoma, the dual boot works great. I tried to upgrade my test environment to Sequoia but I get an error that I don't have enough space, I need another 5GB.

WHen I reduce the size of my production partition, disk utility is creating a new blank partition equal to the reduction in size of the prod partition. This means I cannot increase the size of my test partition as there is no free space for the test partition to grow into, it is occupied by the new unwanted partition. I'm stuck in a loop, if I remove the unwanted partition, my prod partition automatically grows back!

Hope my question is clear.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Trying to follow the advice for upgrading macos: dual booting a "production" environment and a "test" environment, but struggling to increase my test environment partition.

Both partitions are working and both are currently on Sonoma, the dual boot works great. I tried to upgrade my test environment to Sequoia but I get an error that I don't have enough space, I need another 5GB.

WHen I reduce the size of my production partition, disk utility is creating a new blank partition equal to the reduction in size of the prod partition. This means I cannot increase the size of my test partition as there is no free space for the test partition to grow into, it is occupied by the new unwanted partition. I'm stuck in a loop, if I remove the unwanted partition, my prod partition automatically grows back!

Hope my question is clear.

What @kitKAC says. Apple details the process in this article: ”Use more than one version of macOS on Mac”

Reactions: kitKAC

maccoops

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Thanks guys. I think the issue is that I had set up a quota (max size) on the new volume I added for my test environment. Trying to be too clever... Deleted and starting again without any quota...

Reactions: kitKAC

maccoops

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Yes, success. All working after I deleted the previous test volume/partition and created a new one without any quota or reserve. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.