Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Hi,

2016 tbMBP W/ 1tb ssd. Been running 10.12 (had to when we got it due to software compatibility issues). Now upgrading to 10.13.5 from 10.12.6. For the past 30 minutes the spinner has be progressing v e r y s l o w l y (several seconds between each "tick") and I'm not sure if it's that it's trying to upgrade the giant drive to apfs, if it's because I have bootcamp installed, or if it's just broken and I should cancel whatever it's doing.

Anyone know if this is normal or what can/should be done?

Thanks,

Jeff

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Hi,

2016 tbMBP W/ 1tb ssd. Been running 10.12 (had to when we got it due to software compatibility issues). Now upgrading to 10.13.5 from 10.12.6. For the past 30 minutes the spinner has be progressing v e r y s l o w l y (several seconds between each "tick") and I'm not sure if it's that it's trying to upgrade the giant drive to apfs, if it's because I have bootcamp installed, or if it's just broken and I should cancel whatever it's doing.

Anyone know if this is normal or what can/should be done?

Thanks,

Jeff

Do you mean the progress bar? It takes around 45 minutes (or more) to install the OS upgrade. Let it do it's thing.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
There are many OS updates and firmware updates to install since 10.12, just let it finish, it might take an hour depending what it needs to do. I find that since the big Intel patch, that updates installing is far slower than it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.