Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I know watchOS 7 has screwed up GPS workout-tracking, but I think the bigger problem is that watchOS 7 has screwed up Resting Energy.

Attached is an image showing four screenshots of the Resting Energy data from my Health app on iOS 14.0.1. The Resting Energy data before September 20th (see image) was obtained on an Apple Watch Series 5 under the most recent version of watchOS 6.2.x. The Resting Energy data on September 20th and later was obtained from the same Apple Watch running watchOS 7.0 and then watchOS 7.0.1.

As you can see, as soon as watchOS 7 was installed, Resting Energy went haywire. On watchOS 6, for 10 months (ever since I bought the AW5) Resting Energy was consistent (about 2300 calories a day). But as soon as watchOS 7 or later was installed, Resting Energy dropped by as much as 3x, going as low as just 714 calories for an entire day.

Since installing watchOS 7, I have not changed my weight, workout activity, or worn my AW less than I used to. Numerous third-party calculators on the web also confirm that according to my age, gender, activity level, weight, etc, my Resting Energy should indeed be around 2300 calories a day.

Is anyone else seeing this? It's very frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose of having an Apple Watch to track your calorie expenditure.

I also want to note that I did do a complete factory reset on the AW5 in an attempt to fix the issue, but it did not help at all. Resting Energy is still screwed up even after the factory reset.

Attachments

• Resting Energy.png
    Resting Energy.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 1,871
Last edited:

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I have the exact same issue.

It isn’t just Resting Energy I‘m seeing this behaviour as well. What I’ve noticed is when I tap to view all the resting energy data within the Health app, it shows it all for maybe a second or 2, then vast majority just disappears and I’m left with what looks like 5 or 6 entries.

I really hope this is fixed with an update as I have years of data missing.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I have the exact same issue.

It isn’t just Resting Energy I‘m seeing this behaviour as well. What I’ve noticed is when I tap to view all the resting energy data within the Health app, it shows it all for maybe a second or 2, then vast majority just disappears and I’m left with what looks like 5 or 6 entries.

I really hope this is fixed with an update as I have years of data missing.

As much as it pains me to say it, welcome to Apple Watch land. My first watch was a S1 and I had years of data just vanish back in the S4 days. I was close to receiving my 500 badge and got sent back to the starting line after restoring and setting up from an old backup.

Nothing I, or Apple, could do to recover. All of the achievements, best workout badges, perfect months, special events.... gone. To this day I still ignore the rings because I’m so bitter about everything I lost.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Not seeing this, pic show my resting energy over the past month, pretty consistent. Also updated to the x.0.1 versions on both devices 6A130805-9D6B-4BD9-93A9-1A8C7A96FCE0.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
As much as it pains me to say it, welcome to Apple Watch land. My first watch was a S1 and I had years of data just vanish back in the S4 days. I was close to receiving my 500 badge and got sent back to the starting line after restoring and setting up from an old backup.

Nothing I, or Apple, could do to recover. All of the achievements, best workout badges, perfect months, special events.... gone. To this day I still ignore the rings because I’m so bitter about everything I lost.
As bad as losing your data was, the focus should be on the fact you actually accomplished some good goals. And losing the badges in the app can’t take away what was accomplished. You know what you did. Losing a badge shouldn’t make you bitter, unless you are focused on the badges for sake of getting badges, which I don’t think is the case. Refocus and get back to it.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I’ve had an Apple Watch since series 0 launched and have lost health data previously. I’ve seen many people with this current issue so I’m hoping an update will bring it back this time.

If the data isn’t recorded, I feel like it doesn’t count. I understand the complete lack of logic with that statement!

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I’ve had an Apple Watch since series 0 launched and have lost health data previously. I’ve seen many people with this current issue so I’m hoping an update will bring it back this time.

If the data isn’t recorded, I feel like it doesn’t count. I understand the complete lack of logic with that statement!
Create your own spreadsheet log as a backup, in case you lose data again. That way, you have something to look back on that quells the idea that you didn’t actually accomplish what you did.

The ring collector is just a guideline tool. It isn’t meant to be strictly adhered to. It is simply a motivating tool.

Reactions: MJ22 and basher

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
As bad as losing your data was, the focus should be on the fact you actually accomplished some good goals. And losing the badges in the app can’t take away what was accomplished. You know what you did. Losing a badge shouldn’t make you bitter, unless you are focused on the badges for sake of getting badges, which I don’t think is the case. Refocus and get back to it.

You’re absolutely right. Having said that though, how does data that’s part of every encrypted iTunes backup and every iCloud backup disappear from both of those locations? It just baffles me.

Six years in and they still can’t get it right. Your statement is completely logical in my opinion. I’m a very data/metric based person. I like being able to look back on my accomplishments. For example, each time I step in the gym I stand on the same scale wearing the same outfits. It’s ideal because I don’t record weigh-ins any other time so the consistency is key. It also keeps me accountable as I can look back over the month and see whether I’m slacking on my trips or pushing for a record. It was also cool to be able to look at the year views and see my mountains and valleys corresponding to the seasons or major events in my life. All that data, poof.

Here’s a really bad month where I was traveling:

428B7DD5-E977-4F9E-8C3F-7EB4A7D318CA.jpeg

... versus a really good month:

072DD6BB-C579-4BDA-8A21-2CC70D6D6443.jpeg

And a year of data:

EE757D02-7F01-42C9-85B2-420464502ABA.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
You’re absolutely right. Having said that though, how does data that’s part of every encrypted iTunes backup and every iCloud backup disappear from both of those locations? It just baffles me.

Six years in and they still can’t get it right. Your statement is completely logical in my opinion. I’m a very data/metric based person. I like being able to look back on my accomplishments. For example, each time I step in the gym I stand on the same scale wearing the same outfits. It’s ideal because I don’t record weigh-ins any other time so the consistency is key. It also keeps me accountable as I can look back over the month and see whether I’m slacking on my trips or pushing for a record. It was also cool to be able to look at the year views and see my mountains and valleys corresponding to the seasons or major events in my life. All that data, poof.

Here’s a really bad month where I was traveling:

View attachment 959841

... versus a really good month:

View attachment 959842

And a year of data:

View attachment 959840
I don’t have an answer to your question. I suggest you start exporting the data after each workout. “WorkOutDoors” has this ability and WHealth is anther great app that will chart the results for you, as well as allowing you to export the results to Excel, cvs file or the like. This way, your brain will still be able to see and focus on finished results if the data goes missing again.

lpsmtl

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
I know watchOS 7 has screwed up GPS workout-tracking, but I think the bigger problem is that watchOS 7 has screwed up Resting Energy.

Attached is an image showing four screenshots of the Resting Energy data from my Health app on iOS 14.0.1. The Resting Energy data before September 20th (see image) was obtained on an Apple Watch Series 5 under the most recent version of watchOS 6.2.x. The Resting Energy data on September 20th and later was obtained from the same Apple Watch running watchOS 7.0 and then watchOS 7.0.1.

As you can see, as soon as watchOS 7 was installed, Resting Energy went haywire. On watchOS 6, for 10 months (ever since I bought the AW5) Resting Energy was consistent (about 2300 calories a day). But as soon as watchOS 7 or later was installed, Resting Energy dropped by as much as 3x, going as low as just 714 calories for an entire day.

Since installing watchOS 7, I have not changed my weight, workout activity, or worn my AW less than I used to. Numerous third-party calculators on the web also confirm that according to my age, gender, activity level, weight, etc, my Resting Energy should indeed be around 2300 calories a day.

Is anyone else seeing this? It's very frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose of having an Apple Watch to track your calorie expenditure.

I also want to note that I did do a complete factory reset on the AW5 in an attempt to fix the issue, but it did not help at all. Resting Energy is still screwed up even after the factory reset.

same problem here. It looks like it screws up only when I wear my Watch to sleep. I think it’s because the heart monitor shuts off during sleep (although resting calories during waking time also seem a bit on the low side; for instance I only had 9 resting calories between 5pm and 6pm yesterday ...).

Pretty annoying bug there, it really screws up calorie tracking.

Attachments

• 7D68F5B9-9E62-4631-AB31-E39BF9605ACC.png
    7D68F5B9-9E62-4631-AB31-E39BF9605ACC.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 182

Daria Botyanovskaya

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
Absolutely the same issue :(
So disappointed and struggling with apple support for a few days already.

Attachments

• AF9B3B97-D712-4D64-82CD-BD4BE3DC23F0.jpeg
    AF9B3B97-D712-4D64-82CD-BD4BE3DC23F0.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 172

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Absolutely the same issue :(
So disappointed and struggling with apple support for a few days already.

I feel you. I noticed the problem on my S5 right after I upgraded to watchOS 7. I was hopeful it could be fixed with the 7.0.1 update, but it remained. Then I was hopeful the problem wouldn't appear on my new S6–but the exact same problem. So it's got to be something with the watchOS software–or the Health app on iOS 14.

Reactions: Daria Botyanovskaya

lpsmtl

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
I unpaired my Watch and then factory reset my iPhone and Apple Watch earlier today. I then restored the iPhone from my iCloud backup, and then did the same with my watch. This is is recommended by Apple for other issues regarding workout information.

I haven’t slept yet, but the calorie tracking seems ok today, as is the heart rate tracking.

Reactions: MJ22

lpsmtl

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
I unpaired my Watch and then factory reset my iPhone and Apple Watch earlier today. I then restored the iPhone from my iCloud backup, and then did the same with my watch.

I haven’t slept yet, but the calorie tracking seems ok today, as is the heart rate tracking.
I unpaired my Watch and then factory reset my iPhone and Apple Watch earlier today. I then restored the iPhone from my iCloud backup, and then did the same with my watch. This is is recommended by Apple for other issues regarding workout information.

That’s seems to have fixed the issue. See the two graphs attached. Resting calories seem to be a bit on the low side at night, but it should get back to a normal amount (around 2300 calories) by the end of the day.

It also fixed issues with workouts - on my iPhone, workout maps were wrong and heart rate data was messed up.

Attachments

• 5C90EE69-5FDB-4E6F-B002-F8F790D4D45F.png
    5C90EE69-5FDB-4E6F-B002-F8F790D4D45F.png
    408.6 KB · Views: 176
  • C2C4525A-CF09-44A9-9219-5F0BAEE7B9A8.png
    C2C4525A-CF09-44A9-9219-5F0BAEE7B9A8.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 179

Johnathan Depp

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020

Johnathan Depp

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020

The Loseit! App is not reading resting energy and when you go to resting energy the app is not there to select.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.