Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miroe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
I just got myself an iMac 27 with El Captain pre-installed. A technician at the store named the computer as iMac. In my effort to change/replace it with my name, I happened to first rename the default contact "imac" as "my name”, and at some point, I happened to delete it thinking I manually added it there.

I do see the deleted "imac" user as "imac.dmg" in "Deleted Users" folder, which in turn is in "Users" folder in the computer HD "Macintosh HD". In the same "Users" folder are also the "imac" user (with the home icon), and "Shared" folder. When I open the "mac.dmg", it shows the contents (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.).

Of course, I tried manually adding a new contact "imac" or "my name" in the Contacts application. The home icon still shows "imac" and I believe the default "mac" contact is gone.

Is there any way I can

1. retrieve the default contact (more important). And how does this affect the working of the machine?

2. and edit it to my name so that the home icon will show my name instead of “imac”?

Thanks!

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I would open up System Preferences and then select Users. Then add a new admin user. Log into the newly created user then deleted the misnamed one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.