Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow8

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2017
Hello,

I accidentally deleted an important iMessage conversation.
I have an iTunes backup containing the conversation, but I do not want to restore that backup.

Is there a way to recover a specific iMessage conversation and put it back on my phone ?
If yes, is there a free way to do that ? I'm not afraid of Terminal or advanced stuff.

Searched the web, but there are a lot of expensive software that ask to remove the gatekeeper security, which I'd rather not do :).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kyrazoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
I think first you should using your iPhone, then open your computer and install Bitwar iPhone Data Recovery.
Last time when I deleted an important iMessage, Bitwar helped me.
To my surprise, it allowed me to preview the files so that I could choose the one I want to restore. Then I got my iMessage back
Maybe you can have a try. Hope it will also help you!

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If you receive messages on your Mac, there's usually a transcript kept in your library.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive

And then folders by date and conversation.

You might be able to find it in there. I don't know what happens when you delete a message, and whether it updates the stored transcript. If it does, you might look at Time Machine backups

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
God guys stop bringing zombie threads to life just to inrease messages counter! They deserve some rest!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.