Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjones92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Hey people,

In a bit of a situation that I thought would be easy but turns out isn't. Over the weekend I lost my iPhone 6s, don't think I'll be getting it back so I have an older iPhone 5s I'm using for now. I wanted to restore the 5s with the backup from the 6s (which was backed up last year) but here is where the complications come in...

- The backup file I have is on an older MacBook running version OS X 10.7.5 with iTunes version 12.2.2.25
- The iPhone 5s is running iOS 12.3.1
- The iPhone 6s was running an older iOS I think, probably the one that came out around the same time as the handset as I didn't update it from the factory - I might be wrong, I can't remember.
- I don't use iCloud because I'm an idiot.

Here's the main issue, when I plug the iPhone 5s into my old MacBook it comes up with a warning along the lines of 'could not connect to the iphone because an invalid response was received form the device'. I'm fairly certain this is because the iPhone 5s on the newer iOS can't communicate with the older version of iTunes, which is the computer where the backup file is.

Now I know there is a back up on the old MacBook because I looked on preferences > devices > backups and I can see it, as well as in finder with about 8GB worth of data in.

Now I need to figure out how I can get that back up onto the iPhone 5s, any ideas? I'm pretty sure I'll need to try revert the iPhone back to an older iOS so it can communicate with the older iTunes version but looking online I'm not sure this is possible to older versions without jail breaking the handset, is this correct?

Could I maybe copy the backup file from the older MacBook on to my newer MacBook (with a newer version of iTunes) and restore it that way?

Really would like to get some old photos and messages back :( there will be some data lost from last year until now as I didn't back it up :( but I'd like to try to not loose everything when I can see the data sitting in the finder folder but I need to work out how to get it on the handset.

Please help! Thanks all :)

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
OK so you have 2 options. First, use this guide to find the backup on the old Mac (folder in ~/Backup with 40 random chars in name), port it to the new Mac in ~/Backup folder and restore it. There should be no issues with 6s iOS version.

Second, if you already have some data on 5 and just want to get photos/read messages you can port this backup to a new Mac and get iMazing for backup browsing.

Reactions: mjones92

mjones92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
OK so you have 2 options. First, use this guide to find the backup on the old Mac (folder in ~/Backup with 40 random chars in name), port it to the new Mac in ~/Backup folder and restore it. There should be no issues with 6s iOS version.

Second, if you already have some data on 5 and just want to get photos/read messages you can port this backup to a new Mac and get iMazing for backup browsing.

Transferring the backup file onto my new laptop worked! Thanks a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.