Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
That's a quote from the below iMore iPhone SE review that MR posted, at the 2:50 minute mark...

Can someone explain this to me... like I'm a 4th grader?
confused.gif

I get the impression we should not be restoring our iPhones from backup, no?

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
That's a quote from the below iMore iPhone SE review that MR posted, at the 2:50 minute mark...

Can someone explain this to me... like I'm a 4th grader?
confused.gif

I get the impression we should not be restoring our iPhones from backup, no?

The written article says the same too and the comment there is made in reference to battery life measuring in the first few days. I interpret it as when you restore from iCloud backup you cause your device to download a large amount of information (hence the radio overhead) and process that information (which is quite probably compressed to some degree) causing significant CPU utilisation (hence the processor overhead) in excess of what you would consider normal. If you restore from iTunes backup the impact would be less because there won't be the downloading and while the data is being copied on the phone will also (in all likelihood) also be charging so the battery won't be taking a hit. However for a period of time after the restore appears to have completed it may also be the case that the phone will continue to have a greater CPU activity level as it re-indexes the data for Spotlight searching etc. All of this will make determining battery life much harder in the first few days.

Just my two pence worth.

A

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Received an answer...

No, it's just for the first several hours as you re-download everything and processes like Spotlight reindexing content. Wi-Fi can't sleep and the processor can't power down, so you drain faster than normal.

It's not a bad thing, just a physics things. Once it's done, and you're completely restored, everything should be fine.

Rene

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.