Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comicrage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Hi,

I just purchase a used iPhone with iOS 10.3.3, which is jailbreak. I am planning to restored the phone from iCloud. My old iphone has been updated to iOS 11.1.

My question,

if I restored the iPhone from iCloud, it will not overwrite my iOS 10.3.3 to 11.1, correct? Will the restored from iCloud messup the jailbreak, which I like to keep? My old phone was never jailbreak.

Last question, how do I prevent my iPhone from ever being upgraded with any future iOS.

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi,

I just purchase a used iPhone with iOS 10.3.3, which is jailbreak. I am planning to restored the phone from iCloud. My old iphone has been updated to iOS 11.1.

My question,

if I restored the iPhone from iCloud, it will not overwrite my iOS 10.3.3 to 11.1, correct? Will the restored from iCloud messup the jailbreak, which I like to keep? My old phone was never jailbreak.

Last question, how do I prevent my iPhone from ever being upgraded with any future iOS.

Thanks
You will not be able to restore an 11.1 iCloud backup to a 10.3.3 phone.

comicrage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
If I restore from iCloud and add my photos, music, apps, etc... the iPhone will keep its iOS 10.3.3 version, correct. My old iPhone was was upgraded to 11.1, which I don't want. So, it is safe to restore from iCloud and it will not affect the iOS 10.3.3, right?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If I restore from iCloud and add my photos, music, apps, etc... the iPhone will keep its iOS 10.3.3 version, correct. My old iPhone was was upgraded to 11.1, which I don't want. So, it is safe to restore from iCloud and it will not affect the iOS 10.3.3, right?
You will not be able to restore and stay on 10.3.3. If you sign into iCloud on the 10.3.3 phone, you can turn on photos and stuff there, and that will work, but data that's not saved in iCloud will not end up on your phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple does not allow you to restore from backups that are from versions higher than the version of iOS you are restoring to.

If your iCloud backup was last made on a device running iOS 11 then you cannot restore it to your new 10.3.3 phone.

I will answer your question, but because you've already been told twice you cannot restore your question is a moot point.

Restoring from backup does not overwrite system files. It will not mess up a jailbreak. That is because backups do NOT store iOS data. They store USER data. Your photos, your text messages, email, contacts, voicemail, apps, etc.

So even if you could restore an iOS 11 backup to iOS 10.3.3 (which you CAN'T) it wouldn't affect the jailbreak.

Is this clear, or do we need to explain more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.