Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed&confused

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I'mnot sure exactly how I managed, but I dumped all 14-thousand plus photos in my i-photo into the trash and now I can't retrieve them. Is there any way to get them back? As you can imagine, there were many pics in the file which are priceless to me.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I have time machine on my computer, but I'm not sure what you mean by "use" it. Do you think the pics might still be there? If so, how would I get them back? This is critical for me.
Thank you

By "use" I mean, do you have Time Machine turned on to back up your computer? If so, go into Time Machine, roll back to a point before you deleted all your photos, and restore.

If not...you might be SOL.

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
By "use" I mean, do you have Time Machine turned on to back up your computer? If so, go into Time Machine, roll back to a point before you deleted all your photos, and restore.

If not...you might be SOL.
The simplest way is to go into Time Machine through the menu bar (Enter Time Machine), scroll back until you reach a date JUST BEFORE you deleted everything, navigate to the iPhoto folder in 'Pictures', and select 'restore' from the menu bar, under the little gearwheel icon.

Alternatively, the iPhoto 'Trash' is not the same as the hard disk Trash - go to the icon within iPhoto itself and see if the pics are still there? Unless you emptied it manually, they should be....

Mark

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Good points Mahood, and made me think of another thing. A lot of times, deleting a photo in iPhoto doesn't actually delete it from the hard drive, but only removes it from the iPhoto program itself.

Try going into your user file, then Pictures. Right-click on iPhoto Library and select Show Package Contents. In the file that opens, look for a folder called Originals. Inside that folder, with any luck, will be a different folder from each year (and different folders for each day you uploaded a photo within those). Inside these folders should be the original photos, as they were when you first uploaded them.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.