Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hi

Back in 2009, in the days of the iPhone3G I believe, I did regular backups of my phone by connecting it to iTunes...like most people. Whilst looking through some old external HDs lately I've found some of these backups again, and for nostalgia purposes have managed to put together a loose collection of files (ripped from sms.db, or using BackupTrans - or the excellent iPhone Backup Extractor) that details my conversations from 2007 to the present day including iMessage in the Cloud data...with a few exceptions. The main one being a particularly interesting period (for me, at least) around 2008 - 10.

For some reason, a backup I found from that period is incomplete. The folder in question is full of .mdbackup files, as well as what I think are the relevant .plist files - info, manifest and status. However, and for reasons the 2021 me can't remember, there are actually two folders with the same name containing different versions of these files (some with slightly larger file sizes in some, so probably a later date backup, which the slight variation in folder names at the end seems to confirm). I've managed to find - through manually opening EVERY one of them in TextEdit - which one appears to be the SMS store, and I can see the text of those messages and which number is associated...but that's it. No dates, no chronology of when it was sent, whether it was incoming or outgoing (really), etc.

Sooooo...is there an app or utility that can scan these individual files ONLY, and come out with some kind of more readable format? For example, the first decipherable message from this file (viewed in TextEdit) is attached, and obviously shows the text and number, but nothing else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 11.49.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 11.49.27.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 115

antmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hi. That's actually worked. It doesn't let you export them in that format, but I can now at least copy / paste into Excel or something. Thanks very much for that suggestion!!

afit

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
London
Thanks for referencing iPhone Backup Extractor!

If it’s still helpful, it has a “File” menu with options to operate on files like this directly, independent of backups... which should be exactly what you need. Drop us a note if you get stuck or there’s any weirdness. We do strive to maintain compatibility with the very oldest backups. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.