Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryRobson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
London
Hi,

I tried finding the answer to this online but I can't seem to find it for iMac, all the questions seem to be towards MacBooks.

I currently I have a few dead pixels on my iMac so I'm looking to purchase a new screen for it. Is it possible to purchase a retina screen and stick that in? I have experience in taking the iMac apart previously although I've never taken a retina one apart.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No I'm afraid not, there is a special connector that allows the computer to run a 5K screen it is only in the retina iMac and is a solution apple came up with to use a 5K screen before they were supported by mainstream tech, it's just not possible.

GaryRobson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
London
No I'm afraid not, there is a special connector that allows the computer to run a 5K screen it is only in the retina iMac and is a solution apple came up with to use a 5K screen before they were supported by mainstream tech, it's just not possible.
Hi Samuelsan2001, thanks for the reply, it's a shame I was looking forward to potentially doing that. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.