Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys.
I just bought a new Macbook Pro 13" fully specced out 3 weeks ago. Just today I saw the new geek bench from the new ARM based Macbook Air that supposedly beats all the other Macbooks, which probably means the M1 in the Pro, which likely is a bit faster will be outperforming all of the other macs as well.

I feel slightly punked and was wondering if there's a way with apple to swap these two. Fully specced out, the new ARM based Macbook is still about 1000£ cheaper which almost sounds like a prank.

Is there a convenient way to deal with this, or would the only way be to sell this new macbook as a used (and who's gonna buy this now?) and then get the new one?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'd write them and politely ask. There is a good chance they will allow you to return it.

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi Leman.
I actually did exactly this just now and they will be making a "one-time exception" this is absolutely great news and tip top customer service wow. I even have another 7 days now to make this decision. So now I'm wondering in terms of speed. To me it seems like the M1 in the MBP would be actually a lot faster than the i7 10th gen 2.4ghz cpu. The only downside would be the 16gb ram limit, which I think I can live with. It also would be roughly 700£ cheaper.

I still have difficulties understanding why a cheaper macbook would be better but it seems to be that way?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hi Leman.
I actually did exactly this just now and they will be making a "one-time exception" this is absolutely great news and tip top customer service wow. I even have another 7 days now to make this decision.

Cool! Happy it worked for you. Reading other threads it seems they are making a lot of these "one-time exceptions" these days ;)

So now I'm wondering in terms of speed. To me it seems like the M1 in the MBP would be actually a lot faster than the i7 10th gen 2.4ghz cpu. The only downside would be the 16gb ram limit, which I think I can live with. It also would be roughly 700£ cheaper.

I still have difficulties understanding why a cheaper macbook would be better but it seems to be that way?

The downsides are:

- two vs. four ports
- maximally one external display supported
- less maximal RAM

Apple chips are just that good. And that's only entry level. Net year the "real" 13" Pro will come out, it's probably going to be at least 50% faster (and 2 times faster in graphics).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.