Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hey, how are you guys doing?

Kinda longwinded:

I bought an 2017 27" iMac and due to some unusual, loud fan noise I wanted to return it and get a replacement. Compared noise with various models and made a thread here and was told to return it too.

I went to the shop where I bought it (authorized apple seller but not an apple store.. just a regular computer store).

I explained the problem to them and they said they're going to have a technician look at it to confirm what i say. 2 weeks later they message me that i can come and pick up my iMac.

Went there and they tell me there's nothing wrong with it. I insosted on returning it and getting a replacement. They say no because 14 days return time is over. I told them I took it back to theor store just 2 days after I picked it up and wouldve returned it right away if they didnt have a technician take a look at it whoch took 2 weeks. They told me to come back on another day when the tech guy is back and talk to hom about it.

Now, is there still an option for me to return my iMac and get a replacement?
Can i contact an actual apple store and return it there? I still have all the receipts.

Thanks in advance.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If I am not mistaken, if the Mac is bought outside of Apple, Apple wants the consumer to return to the point of sale for refunds etc. However, if said store is not wanting to honor Apple's policies, your best bet is to contact Apple directly, and explain the situation as clear and concisely as possible. Apple may call the store and put pressure on them or make an exception in your case with a return to them.

In the future, when you want to return an item, be more assertive and make sure to do that and not allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

Reactions: RUQRU

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
In the future, when you want to return an item, be more assertive and make sure to do that and not allow yourself to be taken advantage of.

Exactly. If you are not happy with a product and are within the return window do not let the seller play games with you. Just demand a refund. This borders on fraud.

If this is a new item it should be covered by Apple's warranty. See:
https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/embedded-mac-warranty-us.html

You can verify your coverage here:
https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I talked to the original seller again and they say they wont take back the iMac nor replace it.

I called Apple support and they told me I should take it to an actual Apple Store and see if they can repair it. Told them I dont want a repair but a replacement or return & refund.
Support said the guys at the apple store will decide if that is possible.

Damn, will never buy from that original seller again.
Apple Support was helpful but in the end they could just tell me to schedule an appointment.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Who was this "original seller" and what led you to buy from them?

Yes OP, answer the question. Why are you not calling out the seller given their unethical behavior. It's like you're trying to protect them by just calling them 'original seller'. What the hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.