Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I have a Lumix G1 right now but I am thinking about returning it to pick up a Canon T1i. I got a RMA # from BH Photo just incase I decide to and its after my return period. I'm just not sure of the Micro 4/3rds system right now and the lens choice is kind of lack luster if you don't use a $200 adapter. I love the weight and size of the G1, but I am thinking about the future of my System. Do I go with something that is still in the infant stages and may not take off the way they are planning, or do I pick up a Canon where I can use lens from many of their past camera and pick up other lens on the cheap from third party's like Sigma.

I am trying to figure this out before I go an purchase more accessories for the G1, So far I have only picked up a Tele lens for the G1.

What would you do? I'm lost with options.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
have you considered Olympus or Pentax? Olympus has the small size you like, and Pentax has good and relatively inexpensive cameras.

if you wanted more lenses to choose from...why not Nikon?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have Olympus and the E-420 is awesome. The Olympus glass is really nice, especially at their price-points.

I DON'T like the fact they introduced YET ANOTHER format - Micro Four-Thirds... :eek:

I guess camera companies are "into two formats" now - Canon with EF and EF-S, Nikon with FX and DX, and Olympus with (Micro) Four-Thirds.

Rant over...

According to dpreview, Olympus is continuing to improve the Four-Thirds sensors, but the Panasonics still tend to be a bit noisy.

I got a used Canon 20D and the sensor in that rocks.

Get rid of the G1 and that wierd "Micro Four-Thirds" and go with the Canon, or at least Olympus REGULAR Four-Thirds if you want something compact.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I have been trying to find something that is at least 12MP. And can easily be adapted to accessories (meaning there is a strong following in the aftermarket). Right now if I wanted to get a remote shutter and an extra battery for the G1 it would cost me about $140. I have seen batteries for about $20 and remote shutters for about $10 for the XSi for comparison.

I have no problem spending the money to get the pieces that I want/need, but what I don't want to do is pay a premium for something because it is new and the manufacture decides to "Chip" their batteries so that you have to purchase their over priced $70 unit.

I know I should of researched the camera a bit more before purchase, but I got a good deal on the G1 at the time, I picked it up for about $630 when they were going for over $700 at other retailers.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ You're better off getting a close-out/refurbished Nikon, Olympus, or Canon.

I got my E-500 2-lens kit for $499 close-out (which is now selling at closing Ritz Stores for $399) and my E-420 body only for $326. All New with USA warranty.

Closing Ritz Stores are selling the E-410 1 lens kit for $310...

I got a used 20D for $300...

Much better deals than a G1, which is a brand new format.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I have been trying to find something that is at least 12MP. And can easily be adapted to accessories (meaning there is a strong following in the aftermarket). Right now if I wanted to get a remote shutter and an extra battery for the G1 it would cost me about $140. I have seen batteries for about $20 and remote shutters for about $10 for the XSi for comparison.

why 12MP? 12MP doesn't have much practical advantage over 8 or 10MP, and some would argue 6MP.

i dunno much about 3rd-party accessories, other than batteries.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i say you should pick a nikon d5000, a little more cheaper then the t1i and i think it will be better.

edit, you need to fix your title, it says Xsi and you are talking about the T1i?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
i say you should pick a nikon d5000, a little more cheaper then the t1i and i think it will be better.

edit, you need to fix your title, it says Xsi and you are talking about the T1i?

He can always buy the Canon T1, which costs about the same as the Nikon D5000. Both are entry-level cameras, and similarly priced.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009

Fixed it. I would be willing to pick up either, the only problem is time. My RMA is good till May 1st. I'm not sure if B&H is going to have the T1i by then.
It does if you want to print larger photos of equal quality.
Exactly why I want 12MP or larger. I do plan on doing larger prints.

Depends if the OP wants to spend that much money...
I need to return my G1 and the 45-200mm lens I picked up, In total it should be around $1100. So I could either get a T1i, and wait to pick up a couple more lens, or get a XSi and pick up a cheaper Sigma Prime and a Tele lens.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
It does if you want to print larger photos of equal quality.

the difference between 12 and 10MP is about 12 dpi on a 30x20. is that really significant? i imagine the larger sensor in APS-C cameras would make more of a difference in overall image quality.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Helps in cropping too...especially since I'm still learning. But for prints just over 8X10, I think 6MP is enough. Keep in mind that higher pixel density can increase noise if not done right.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And what will be the resale value of the G1 now that the GH1 is coming out?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
the difference between 12 and 10MP is about 12 dpi on a 30x20. is that really significant? i imagine the larger sensor in APS-C cameras would make more of a difference in overall image quality.

Maybe not between 10 and 12MP, but between 6-8 and 12MP, specially after cropping unwanted portions of a photo.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I am going to see when b&h is going to be getting the T1i, because I could ore order it I guess. But I am thinking just getting an xsi might be the better option. Cheaper cost, and I would be able to pick up another lens or two right away. Just not sure if I need the added MP and video funtions of the T1i. I mean really other then that what are the differences between the XSi and the T1i?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I am going to see when b&h is going to be getting the T1i, because I could ore order it I guess. But I am thinking just getting an xsi might be the better option. Cheaper cost, and I would be able to pick up another lens or two right away. Just not sure if I need the added MP and video funtions of the T1i. I mean really other then that what are the differences between the XSi and the T1i?

You would have to see a side-by-side comparison to tell what the differences are, other than mega-pixels and video options on the T1. The XSi is a very nice camera as is, and does not cost as much. But instead of buying a couple of lenses, I would concentrate on buying a good lens. For example, if you aren't into low-light photography at the moment and want a zoom that's very fast-focusing and sharp in the range of 70-200mm, and one that is very nicely priced, then the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM is the "puppy." This lens costs from $500.00 to $600.00.

There are other L primes, from 20mm through 200mm that are fairly priced, and gather a lot more light than the 70-200mm f/4, but if you "dig" zoom of great quality at a low price, this one is hard to beat. There are a couple of faster versions of it, one with IS, and the other in f/2.8, but they cost a lot more than the plain 70-200mm L.
Take a look:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142739

Then there are several non L lenses that produce great IQ , and sharpness, and aren't as expensive as the former. For example:
EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (around $400.00)
EF 85mm f/1.8
EF S 10-22mm (for cropped sensors)
MP E 65 (macro, but costs around $800.00), and a few more primes

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

the T1i gets the 50D's sensor, and presumably the better resolution and noise handling, and it gets a high-res LCD, if you care.

i agree with you on getting the XSi instead. i figure you already know what focal lengths you want. if you want a telephoto zoom, make sure to avoid any version of the 75-300mm.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
You would have to see a side-by-side comparison to tell what the differences are, other than mega-pixels and video options on the T1. The XSi is a very nice camera as is, and does not cost as much. But instead of buying a couple of lenses, I would concentrate on buying a good lens. For example, if you aren't into low-light photography at the moment and want a zoom that's very fast-focusing and sharp in the range of 70-200mm, and one that is very nicely priced, then the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM is the "puppy." This lens costs from $500.00 to $600.00.

There are other L primes, from 20mm through 200mm that are fairly priced, and gather a lot more light than the 70-200mm f/4, but if you "dig" zoom of great quality at a low price, this one is hard to beat. There are a couple of faster versions of it, one with IS, and the other in f/2.8, but they cost a lot more than the plain 70-200mm L.
Take a look:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142739

Then there are several non L lenses that produce great IQ , and sharpness, and aren't as expensive as the former. For example:
EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (around $400.00)
EF 85mm f/1.8
EF S 10-22mm (for cropped sensors)
MP E 65 (macro, but costs around $800.00), and a few more primes

I can't afford the L glass right now although I wish I could. I was thinking about picking up a Sigma Prime lens, and maybe a Tele as well. I was looking at this Prime lens (Link) for starters and maybe another Tele lens if they have one on the cheap maybe used.

the T1i gets the 50D's sensor, and presumably the better resolution and noise handling, and it gets a high-res LCD, if you care.

i agree with you on getting the XSi instead. i figure you already know what focal lengths you want. if you want a telephoto zoom, make sure to avoid any version of the 75-300mm.

I think I can deal with the smaller sensor and loss of video in getting the XSi instead of the T1i, because I am not going to be taking video, Just don't need that function, and so far 12MP is enough right now. And if I want to in a year or so I can always buy the T1i body because I have the lenses from the XSi.

I think that is going to be my best option, is get the XSi and pick up a few other items, Tripod, Flash, extra battery etc. And then gradually build my system while starting with a good foot hold on what I need to shoot properly.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The Sigma lens (link you posted) is a very nice one, but it still costs $400.00. I have a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which costs about the same, but for low light the Sigma is much better. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is a little cheaper than the Sigma one, but I have heard that the Sigma produces a smoother bokeh.

To get an idea about Canon and other EOS compatible lenses, including their prices, take a look here (click on the lens, and then you can look at photo samples):
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Alright so after a lengthy discussion with one of the sales people from my local camera shop I decided to go with the XSi over the T1i for a couple reasons, one being the $300 price difference. I was able to play with the T1i a little bit and I will say it is a very nice camera, it feels basically identical to the XSi.

Oh and if anyone wants a T1i my local shop had about 10 of them in stock, all the kit versions with the lens included. PM me and I can give you the link to their website, not sure if I can post it without it being considered advertising.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Alright so after a lengthy discussion with one of the sales people from my local camera shop I decided to go with the XSi over the T1i for a couple reasons, one being the $300 price difference. I was able to play with the T1i a little bit and I will say it is a very nice camera, it feels basically identical to the XSi.

Oh and if anyone wants a T1i my local shop had about 10 of them in stock, all the kit versions with the lens included. PM me and I can give you the link to their website, not sure if I can post it without it being considered advertising.

Where are you based?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
why 12MP? 12MP doesn't have much practical advantage over 8 or 10MP, and some would argue 6MP.

There is a good argument that 6MP is the best size. certainly if all of your work is going to be published on the web or showed on a computer monitor then even 6MP is overkill as no display screen can show all those pixels. For example a 1080P HD TV set can show 1.7MP or less than a third of a Nikon D40's sensor.

With prints it's different. If you accept 300 DPI prints as being "photo quality" then a 6MP camera can make 10 inch wide pprints and a 12MP camera cane make 14 inch prints of the same 300 DPI quality. So you gain four inches in print width. That may matter a lot to some people.

Larger pixels are always going to have less noise. the pixels in the 6MP camer are twice the size (square area) of the pixels in the 12MP camera.

So 12MP vs. 6MP may or may not matter to you. It depends on intended use.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
With prints it's different. If you accept 300 DPI prints as being "photo quality" then a 6MP camera can make 10 inch wide pprints and a 12MP camera cane make 14 inch prints of the same 300 DPI quality. So you gain four inches in print width. That may matter a lot to some people.
Well, you may gain 4 inches, but how about the sensitivity you lose. That may degrade image quality worse than using a 240dpi print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.