Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
You'll have to forgive me but I need to ask, why do you need to reverse the trackpad's orientation?

Edited: Just read the StackExchange post. I see - enabling it allows you to put five fingers on the trackpad for it to reorient automatically. Still can't imagine why it's necessary even considering the potential scenarios, but hopefully someone can shed light on your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: anp27

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
because I use it like this:
32XBhgE.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/GkYoW

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
:):(
would appreciate if someone could test it

set:
defaults write com.apple.trackpad.orientation TrackpadOrientationMode 1
sudo defaults write com.apple.MultitouchSupport ForceAutoOrientation YES

reboot

turn trackapd 180 degrees

naturally place your five fingers on trackpad. It should recognise right away. If you turn it around and place your 5 fingers again, it will turn again with it.

Last edited:

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
What happened to the edges of the trackpad?
top left and top right is aluminium duct tape (real metal, not common vinyl-like grey duct tape) to block
the trackpad from accidentally registering my palms when I type).

bottom right is a crack in the plastic dating from long ago after trackpad fell on the ground. works 100% though.
[doublepost=1471622925][/doublepost]
Looks decent, does it work well for your needs now?

I'd say it's quite good!

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
top left and top right is aluminium duct tape (real metal, not common vinyl-like grey duct tape) to block
the trackpad from accidentally registering my palms when I type).

bottom right is a crack in the plastic dating from long ago after trackpad fell on the ground. works 100% though.
[doublepost=1471622925][/doublepost]

I'd say it's quite good!

I doubt it will fall now! lol

Reactions: junkw

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
sadly this software does not reverse all gestures

Well, if you're that dedicated in reversing the trackpad, you can use a mixture of Scroll Reverser and BetterTouchTool to override the default gestures. You won't get some of the nice things like Show Desktop following your fingers, but I still think that's better than cutting a hole in your desk.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
That's a nice DIY fix... except that if you get a new trackpad it's not going to fit in that hole correctly. Not only are the new ones larger, but the top of the trackpad is a different size/shape now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.