Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Recently I was asked by Mpow to review their Cheetah (V2) Sport bluetooth headset, and being a headphone junkie I jumped at the opportunity. The review sample arrived quickly and came packaged in a nice satin-finish box with a magnetic closure. The box includes the headphones, three sizes of ear tips, charging cable and instruction manual.

These lightweight headphones feature the aptX codec over a bluetooth 4.1 connection with a range of almost 300 feet. Their latest version now has a special sweat-proof nano-coating to prevent damage from moisture and an upgraded battery that provides up to 8 hours of play time.

They automatically went into pairing mode when first powered up and paired easily with my iPhone 6+. There are only three control buttons that are easily accessible on the right earpiece. The multifunction button controls power on/off, playback and phone calls. The volume up and down buttons double as track-skip forwards and backwards. There is also a multicolored LED and micro-USB charging port that is protected by a plastic cover.

I found the controls to be intuitive and responsive. Voice prompts are a nice touch. The headphones feel solid and the smooth matte black finish is very nice. One interesting thing I noticed is that the headset volume controls are independent of the iPhone's volume control...so if you have the headset all the way up and it's not loud enough, you might need to turn up the phone's volume as well. They get plenty loud!

I was very surprised at how well they fit. The springy cable puts just enough tension on the earpieces to keep them securely in my ears and I don't feel like they are going to fall out. Plus, they are extremely light weight and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Like most in-ear headphones it is important to pick the right size eartips for a good seal to get the best bass response.

Sound quality is above average but not exceptional as expected in this price range. They are heavy on the bass with recessed highs and pronounced mids. While this sound profile may not appeal to everyone, I think it is perfectly acceptable for a pair of "sport" phones. They are still fun to listen to and the lack of treble will make them less harsh on the ears in the long run. I should add that since the iPhone still doesn't support aptX, they will probably sound better when paired with a device that does. Range was very good and broke up a little when I left the headset in the kitchen and walked into another room. I have been listening to them off and on for the last couple of weeks and have not had to recharge them yet, so I would guess that the 8 hour batttery life is accurate.

When a phone call comes in the headset plays the phone's ringtone, and the voice announces the caller's phone number. The caller's voice came through loud and clear, and they said mine sounded clear but slightly muffled compared to the iPhone's microphone.

In conclusion I would say these are the perfect workout headphones. They are durable and compact enough to throw into your gym bag, lightweight, and won't fly off your head during your cardio routine. If you happen to perspire excessively the nano coating should keep your tunes cranking. The best part of all is that they isolate well and get loud enough to drown out the grunts coming from the 'roided-out lifters next to you. All in all a great value at the current asking price.

Last edited:

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Does the audio cut out when your phone is in your pocket while outdoors and running? Has the battery failed on you yet? These are common problems I experience with ALL bluetooth headsets while sporting outdoors.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Does the audio cut out when your phone is in your pocket while outdoors and running? Has the battery failed on you yet? These are common problems I experience with ALL bluetooth headsets while sporting outdoors.
No such problems but admittedly I don't use these that much. When I have I didn't notice any dropouts even when the phone was across the room.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Sounds like a shill review tbh.

It does, a lot of the reviews on amazon are just like this. When you get a pair from the company for free or for a discount the review is automatically biased. Luckily the design looks like something that would work for me and with the low price of ~$20 I don't think it's much of a gamble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.