Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Does anybody own the waterproof Sony Cyber Shot DSC-TX5? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this one for family trips but wanted to know if anyone could give a quick review before I went for it. Thank you.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Yes I did read a bunch. I like this site, though, and thought a mac-centric review might be helpful.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I have the TX7 and love it. The TX5 is pretty much the same, except that it trades the TX7's full HD video for 720p + ruggedness.

It plays well with my Macbook Pro, although AVCHD (as opposed to mp4, which it also can record) videos are stored in a way that I'm unused to (separate folders from photos with extra files that I don't know the purpose of), and since I prefer to go through Finder/Bridge rather than iPhoto/etc it's more of a pain than other cameras I've had, where video files are always single files that are in the same folder as photos. I suspect that the AVCHD file/folder structure is to ease DVD/Bluray authoring, but since I don't do that I record videos in mp4 to avoid the extra hassle and confusion (AVCHD is 60fps 1080i, mp4 maxes at 30fps 1080p, so pretty much the same quality, without getting fussy about 1080i vs 1080p).

Bottom line: If I wanted a waterproof compact camera, I'd get a TX5, no question. Until then, I'll keep my TX7 and its pretty videos.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I have the TX7 and love it. The TX5 is pretty much the same, except that it trades the TX7's full HD video for 720p + ruggedness.

It plays well with my Macbook Pro, although AVCHD (as opposed to mp4, which it also can record) videos are stored in a way that I'm unused to (separate folders from photos with extra files that I don't know the purpose of), and since I prefer to go through Finder/Bridge rather than iPhoto/etc it's more of a pain than other cameras I've had, where video files are always single files that are in the same folder as photos. I suspect that the AVCHD file/folder structure is to ease DVD/Bluray authoring, but since I don't do that I record videos in mp4 to avoid the extra hassle and confusion (AVCHD is 60fps 1080i, mp4 maxes at 30fps 1080p, so pretty much the same quality, without getting fussy about 1080i vs 1080p).

Bottom line: If I wanted a waterproof compact camera, I'd get a TX5, no question. Until then, I'll keep my TX7 and its pretty videos.

Thank you! That's all I needed to hear.....

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Thank you! That's all I needed to hear.....

I should mention that the touchscreen isn't quite up to Apple standards (IMO requires more pressure, has less precision, no multitouch), but it works well enough. Hopefully you won't regret your purchase ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.