Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I updated the iPhone 12 Pro Max to the new 14.2 build last night. Install was fine, no problems from what I could see.

Was at the store about 1 hour ago, face mask on, sunglasses on, winter hat on. I pulled out the phone and was ready to manually enter passcode in, the Face ID screen appeared briefly and quickly unlocked bringing up the home screen (NO passcode required)

That's totally new. I quickly locked my phone, tried again...Face ID lock icon UNlocked - and again accessed my home screen with no problem.
After a few times it then DID prompt me for the Face ID (I entered my code). But after locking it again, the Face ID was bypassing once again.

I didn't have this on the OLD 14.2. I'll try deleting my face and setting it up once again. If this keeps happening, then I'll go back to old school passcode for now. ?
_____

**UPDATE - RESETTING FACE ID SEEMED TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

I DELETED MY FACE ID, SET UP A NEW ID.
PUT THE MASK ON, THE PHONE WAS NOT UNLOCKING. Hopefully this helps if anyone is having the same issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's something that some people have been experiencing here and there for at least a little while now:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
It's something that some people have been experiencing here and there for at least a little while now:
What the...? Ok, I feel dumb, I didnt see the previous posts,

It never worked with mine. Either on XS Max on the new phone. Odd that it just suddenly worked. ??‍♂️
Alright...cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.