Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I'm looking for an external keyboard - the more of the following, the better:

1) RGB - the more robust the better
2) Wireless
3) USB-C
4) Compact size (don't need num pad either)

Either a super cheap RGB external keyboard, OR, I'd be willing to a pay bit more for a cheaper mechanical one. Will be used for my MacBook, no gaming.

Thank you!

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
My wife is visually impaired and we want RGB keyboards so we can color code keys for her use.

Most of the RGB keyboards are not for use with macOS which causes us problems. Nor do we want or have a Windows system we can configure the keyboard with and then switch it back to her system.

Given the community it seems like someone would have some experience with RGB mechanical keyboards for macOS.

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
RGB mechanical keyboards are usually available as wired only, due to power requirements for multicolour LEDs. The ones which have drivers/software for Mac are Razer and Logitech G. I'm using Logitech G513 (it has detachable wrist rest) with my iMac.

I used to have Corsair K63 wireless (Bluetooth or USB dongle) which was only having blue backlight (hence no need for drivers), it was working fine with my iMac but required charging every 3-4 days.

For RGB keyboard, the software is necessary, otherwise you will be forced to use onboard profiles which are not to everybody's taste (too flashy usually). Also, the keyboard needs to have onboard memory for user profiles, otherwise the software needs to run in the background all the time (i.e. Logitech G-Hub).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Looking for wired keyboards only. Not wireless.

We've tried Corsair (no software available for macOS) and Razer (bad, bad driver/configuration utility).

Looking for what people are using.

My wife is visually impaired and being able to customize the back lighting helps her identify keys on the keyboard. But a bad driver/configuration app causes more issues than it solves. Especially when I'm at work and it will be hours before I'm home to fix the issue.

Raydex

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2019
Looking for a keyboard with the exact same details. What do you guys think about Keychron K1 and the Keychron K2 that is coming in a few days?

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
Unfortunately, Corsair iCue never went beyond Beta and they abandoned it altogether (supposedly not enough interest from Mac people to justify cost of development and implementation).

The only two PC mechanical gaming RGB keyboard companies which have drivers/software for Mac are Razer and Logitech. I’m using G513 with GHub software on Mojave and everything works fine.

Bugs713

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
Apache Junction, AZ USA
I use (and love) a Redragon K580 for my cMP, has different switchable profiles, including slectable per key color programming profile which I use for gaming. I program only the keys I use and can select any color for a specific key. No software needed, everything is done on the keyboard. You can swap the OPTION and COMMAND keys in Mac System Preference, Keyboard, Modifier Keys to match Apple keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G11G2X8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Looking for wired keyboards only. Not wireless.

We've tried Corsair (no software available for macOS) and Razer (bad, bad driver/configuration utility).

Looking for what people are using.

My wife is visually impaired and being able to customize the back lighting helps her identify keys on the keyboard. But a bad driver/configuration app causes more issues than it solves. Especially when I'm at work and it will be hours before I'm home to fix the issue.
I don't have any real hands-on experience, but what I've seen others using are large print keyboards rather. There are a wide range available with Windows layouts, but not too many with macOS layouts. This one on the expensive end but it does have a macOS layout: https://www.amazon.com/Logickeyboar...way&sprefix=keyboard+for+visu,aps,679&sr=8-78

Silicone keyboard covers are more common for Macs.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I don't have any real hands-on experience, but what I've seen others using are large print keyboards rather. There are a wide range available with Windows layouts, but not too many with macOS layouts. This one on the expensive end but it does have a macOS layout: https://www.amazon.com/Logickeyboard-keyboard-compatible-later-LKBU-LPRNTBW-AM89-US/dp/B005LJVO8W/ref=sr_1_78?crid=HW4JC8LJ9I81&keywords=keyboard+for+visually+impaired&qid=1553569413&s=gateway&sprefix=keyboard+for+visu,aps,679&sr=8-78

Silicone keyboard covers are more common for Macs.

She wants a keyboard with good tactile feedback and backlit keys. This keyboard won't satisfy her.

I see Corsair has a mac driver and I'll check her older Corsair keyboard. We might be able to use it. If not we can look at the supported keyboards for Corsair and move forward.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
found a 3rd party application/driver called ckb available on GitHub. Get ckb-next. Current version is 0.4.0. I am looking at her K65 Lux RGB that I've configured with the utility.

iCue did not install but then again ckb didn't like the keyboard until I plugged it directly into the computer. Just tried it again and it failed on installation. Running 10.11.6. Not sure why iCue doesn't like this system. :(

ckb-next is located here: https://github.com/ckb-next/ckb-next

Unfortunately, Corsair iCue never went beyond Beta and they abandoned it altogether (supposedly not enough interest from Mac people to justify cost of development and implementation).

The only two PC mechanical gaming RGB keyboard companies which have drivers/software for Mac are Razer and Logitech. I’m using G513 with GHub software on Mojave and everything works fine.

Please see this thread at the Corsair forums: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182942

My own experience with iCue is it will not install on my MacPro 3,1 (early 2008) running 10.11.6. Trying to find out what the base system requirements are. Until then I will use ckb-next (link above).

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
My wife is visually impaired and we want RGB keyboards so we can color code keys for her use.

Most of the RGB keyboards are not for use with macOS which causes us problems. Nor do we want or have a Windows system we can configure the keyboard with and then switch it back to her system.

Given the community it seems like someone would have some experience with RGB mechanical keyboards for macOS.
Go to https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/ and email them with your needs. They’ll reply within a day. I was looking for a replacement for my keyboard and I was reading about one or two that could be programmed through the keyboard without software but I don’t remember which one it was.

If they have something that fits your needs they’ll definitely let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.