Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I'm a longtime lurker, but now I've got a specific question about the right tripod to get. Obviously, I'd love to get a nice Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and an expensive ball head, but I'm also saving up for a fast Mac Pro, so I'm afraid my budget is limited to about $250 for the tripod and head, total. I have a Nikon D80 and my current heaviest lens is my Nikkor 70-300mm 4-5.6f lens. So what's the best tripod in my price range for my needs? Eventually I'll have heavier lenses, but probably not too much heavier. It seems like I'm best off with a Manfrotto legs/head combo, aluminum head and adequate ballhead, such as the 190XPROB 3 section aluminum legs and 488RC2 Midi Ball head.

What do you think?

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I have the 190XPROB and have been impressed with its performance. It's fairly light weight and easy to carry and offers surprisingly stable support in most terrain. I have it paired with the 322RC2 Grip Ball Head. My heaviest load is a D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens and the tripod supports it with no problem.

I think the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods/heads offer a good cost to performance ratio for the hobbyist or serious amateur.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I have the 055XPROB and it is amazing, but I am 6 foot 4 so I needed a taller tripod than the 190XPROB. With my 055 I have the 486RC2 which works stunningly well. The "X feature" is unbelievably useful (being able to rotate the centre column 90 degrees) to really get the camera right over a subject.

It really depends on your height and how heavy you want it to be. The 055 is larger, taller and more expensive and the 190 is cheaper, shorter and lighter.

My advice, get yourself a 190 tripod with a 486RC2 ball head, trust me, you'll thank me later!

Manfrotto all the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.