Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Greetings,

Time has finally come for me to purchase this little wonderful machine.
Now I'm wondering about dual monitor setup. I would use rMB for traveling and work (software engineer). But most of the places where I travel I ask in advance that they prepare two monitors for me to work on. Then I would simply connect my rMBP 15 and that would be it.

But is this possible at all with rMB? I know I could use apple adapter and then hook one monitor via hdmi, and other via usb adapter. But monitor connected via usb3 is slow. Too slow for my needs.

Is there any viable solution for connecting two monitors 'normally' to rMB? Any working dock that can do this?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
  • One monitor support only (I believe) and only 4k@30Hz
  • If you wait two weeks until WWDC this June 13, Apple is rumored to announce either a 13" or 14" MacBook (possibly a Pro) that would most likely better support a 2-monitor setup.

Reactions: jeremiah256

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
  • One monitor support only (I believe) and only 4k@30Hz
  • If you wait two weeks until WWDC this June 13, Apple is rumored to announce either a 13" or 14" MacBook (possibly a Pro) that would most likely better support a 2-monitor setup.

Yes, I'm aware of WWDC. But wanted to purchase rMB regardless. I would own two devices, rMBP15, and rMB, so the refresh doesn't interest me at all. Especially 1st gen of redesigned Apple products. Planing on buying new rMBP 15 or (I hope at least) rMBP 16 next year, would keep my current rMBP until then.

It's a shame rMB doesn't support dual display setup without using usb port :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.