Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdames00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I've got a chance to get a new rMBP 13" 2015 base model for $1000 out the door. My other options are these:

1. rMB 2016 with the M5 chip (I've got this one now but am well inside the return window)
2. rMBP 2016 13" base model when ever it comes out for retail price (I'm assuming it'll be around the same price point).

My usage mainly is everyday usage, maybe a little light gaming and photo editing. My major concern is storage, but I'm fine using an sd adapter to expand. I know for sure I want a retina display. I'm leaning towards to 2015 rMBP just for the significant cost savings but am looking for any opinions/ideas that might be helpful. Anyone have a performance comparison of the rMBP and the rMB?

AppleRocks2011

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I've got a chance to get a new rMBP 13" 2015 base model for $1000 out the door.

Mate, that is a fantastic deal! That Retina Macbook Pro 13" is going to be quite a but more powerful than the 2016 Macbook. While the 2016 Macbook is portable, stunning and very light, for even a little but of gaming and photo editing you would find yourself in a stretch.

Here are some Pro's for getting the rMBP 13" 2015;

• It has a number of USB ports, which prove useful for attaching joysticks, gaming devices and USB's
  • It features an SD card slot, meaning you can use it as an external hard drive (256GB SD Card)
  • Because of it's more powerful processor, you won't need to upgrade it as quickly as if you'd gotten a Macbook
  • That price is pretty amazing!
If you bought a Macbook, you would be getting a lesser product that costs more...it would just be newer and shinier (trust me, I get the appeal). The newer one will be significantly more expensive, and you likely won't need the new features based on the use you've described.

I have a 2012 rMPB and it ROCKS. It is STILL just as fast as the day I bought it, and I've never looked back. Macbook Pro's are just that - PRO. Built for professionals.

Reactions: doctorwhofan98

cdames00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Mate, that is a fantastic deal! That Retina Macbook Pro 13" is going to be quite a but more powerful than the 2016 Macbook. While the 2016 Macbook is portable, stunning and very light, for even a little but of gaming and photo editing you would find yourself in a stretch.

Here are some Pro's for getting the rMBP 13" 2015;

• It has a number of USB ports, which prove useful for attaching joysticks, gaming devices and USB's
  • It features an SD card slot, meaning you can use it as an external hard drive (256GB SD Card)
  • Because of it's more powerful processor, you won't need to upgrade it as quickly as if you'd gotten a Macbook
  • That price is pretty amazing!
If you bought a Macbook, you would be getting a lesser product that costs more...it would just be newer and shinier (trust me, I get the appeal). The newer one will be significantly more expensive, and you likely won't need the new features based on the use you've described.

I have a 2012 rMPB and it ROCKS. It is STILL just as fast as the day I bought it, and I've never looked back. Macbook Pro's are just that - PRO. Built for professionals.
I Took the deal on a new 2015 rMBP. For me it came down to ports and price; especially as I wouldn't be able to use the SD slot to expand my memory.

Reactions: AppleRocks2011

cdames00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
How do you do this?
There are a couple options. First you could get a transcend or other brand sd card that is made to fit flush into the sd slot; they come in up to 256gb I think. The option I went with was a flush fitting adapter and a 200gb sandisk micro sd card; it ran me right around $100 on amazon.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I've got a chance to get a new rMBP 13" 2015 base model for $1000 out the door."

That's a very good price.

The question you need to ask yourself is:
"Will I be satisfied with 'last year's technology' when the new ones come out with USB-c, thunderbolt 3, usb 3.1, etc. ...?"

Only YOU can answer it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.