Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have a base model 15" Macbook Pro preordered and I am looking to modify my order, and I believe the only way to do so is to cancel and reorder if I am not mistaken?

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to cancel an order placed using the Education Discount and then reorder a slightly different model with the same discount applied.

I only ask because I had heard that you were only able to use the education store once per year?

Thank you!

Ankii1996

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
No Just call Apple and tell them to put a request on your order to change whatever you want. It will take 24-48 hours for your order to be updated and the price will automatically be updated with the education discount which you have now as well and you will not need to cancel your order :)

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I'll use this thread to ask something similar.

Can I call them and ask to completely change the order? Let's say, switch a MPB for an iMac, for example. Does it work like that? What about the price difference?

Or does it only work for upgrades (ram, processor, etc)?

Thank you

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I'll use this thread to ask something similar.

Can I call them and ask to completely change the order? Let's say, switch a MPB for an iMac, for example. Does it work like that? What about the price difference?

Or does it only work for upgrades (ram, processor, etc)?

Thank you

Umm of course you can. They'll cancel your order and send you an iMac instead. I'm confused why you ask this question.

Reactions: iizmoo and dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Umm of course you can. They'll cancel your order and send you an iMac instead. I'm confused why you ask this question.

Because I'm about to cancel the order for the new MPB and switch to the iMac 5K and, as I paid (wire transfer) the original order, I thought I'd have to wait for it to be reimbursed and then order the iMac.

Still considering the pros and cons thought.

Thanks

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Because I'm about to cancel the order for the new MPB and switch to the iMac 5K and, as I paid (wire transfer) the original order, I thought I'd have to wait for it to be reimbursed and then order the iMac.

Still considering the pros and cons thought.

Thanks

Well the first thing I'd do is ring them up...

If the money has already left your account and is with Apple. They will either issue a refund on that order, and you can order the new product, or wait for the refund and then order. Or they might refund the difference. However only Apple would know.

Reactions: dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Well the first thing I'd do is ring them up...

If the money has already left your account and is with Apple. They will either issue a refund on that order, and you can order the new product, or wait for the refund and then order. Or they might refund the difference. However only Apple would know.

Yeah, the money already left. I'll ring them tomorrow and see that they say.

(Hope I make up my mind overnight...I'm quite undecided)

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Just for the record:

Called them and there was no issue. They had to cancel the previous order (MBP) and they transferred the money I had already sent them to the new order. I'm now waiting for them to update the new order so I can pay the difference :)

can't wait to have my new baby at home!

WANGHETONGTT

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
Just for the record:

Called them and there was no issue. They had to cancel the previous order (MBP) and they transferred the money I had already sent them to the new order. I'm now waiting for them to update the new order so I can pay the difference :)

can't wait to have my new baby at home!
U WILL HAVE A VERY LONG WAIT

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Can I know why you cancelled? And what's your initial order ._.

Sure... I realised that it would have been a bad idea to keep the order of the MBP as I wanted a new Mac to replace my ageing iMac 21.5 mid-2010. The display (13") is just too small for me. Yes, I know that I could use an external monitor with the MBP but it would never be the same kind of experience. And, honestly, I don't see the use of the Touch Bar... I'd use it most of the time in clamshell mode...
This way, for 10 EUR more, I get a better CPU, dedicated GPU and an amazing display.

I had ordered the 13", 16gb ram, 512 SSD and the i5 3.1.

Reactions: kokhoong0624

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
With the imac you get that nice large 5k display that would cost you $1000 (or maybe more) to buy something similar to attach to the MBP.

Reactions: dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
The 13" MacBook Pro is more for portable use I'm surprised you weren't ordering the 15".

The 15" is a lot more expensive... And still...with lower specs than a desktop.

With the imac you get that nice large 5k display that would cost you $1000 (or maybe more) to buy something similar to attach to the MBP.

True! Even a good 4K display would be between 400-600 EUR.

Not to mention dongles and adapters, mouse, keyboard and a set of speakers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.