Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Hi there,

my SMC version is 2.3f32 for the rMBP mid 2012. When I try to update to 1.1 or 2.3f35 it updates well but after the reboot it still shows that I'm on f32 and not f35. Also App Store still wants to update SMC 1.1.

What happened here? :(

Last edited:

reery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Yeah update to 10.8.3 was successful.

Resetting SMC didn't help but resetting NV/PRAM helped!

So it's solved. Thank you very much!

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I have the same issue here. I am on a Retina MacBook Pro (MacBookPro10,1) which is kept on 10.7 by the company's IT department. It is running Sophos AV and Sophos SafeGuard (disk encryption) and we authenticate via Active Directory.

The SMC 1.1 update keeps popping up in Software Update, even though I have installed it about 5 times (according to System Preferences -> Software Update -> Installed Software) already. The SMC firmware remains at 2.3f32 while it should be 2.3f35 after the update. I tried resetting SMC as well as NV/PRAM without any luck...

My guess is that Sophos' SafeGuard disk encryption is somehow messing things up as you have to enter your credentials on boot do be able to use the 'disk'. Even though the Sophos forums said it should be possible...

Anybody got a clue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My guess is that Sophos' SafeGuard disk encryption is somehow messing things up as
I wouldn't be surprised. I know that since it's a company-owned Mac, you probably don't have a choice, but I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

crowbar77

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Ended up taking it into the apple store, spent 1.5 hours with a genius mostly redoing what I already tried. Even tried installing over a network drive that had 10.8.2, no luck. They ended up keeping it and going to let me know, my hopes aren't to high though. :rolleyes: Its rare but have found a few other posts with this happening, all the way back to 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.