Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batuhayabusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Hello, I am an inexperienced OS X user, and I started searching about user priviliges for a while just in case for security. And when I found out about root user, I started tinkering about my Macbooks unusual activites such as not waking up from sleep, sometimes running fans at full speed at idle, uploading at unnecessary speeds even when no activity going on at my computer, may be about a person who had access to my mac back a while ago that activated root user and accessing my mac remotely since back then.
So I tried disabling that root user, but I couldnt disable it from directory utility screen, nor with the terminal command dsenableroot -d. It just says failed to disable root user. `

I need help about this problem. Thank you

Also here is a link to my problems original post it may give some background

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30667576#30667576

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Root can only be disabled by another administrator. When you type ‘dsenableroot -d’ you must enter the username and password of an admin.

batuhayabusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Root can only be disabled by another administrator. When you type ‘dsenableroot -d’ you must enter the username and password of an admin.
Yes I know, and my account is an admin account, so it should have done it right ?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Are you sure? You are not putting sudo in front of it, right?

When you type this command, does it return something or does it say ’No such key’?
Code:
dscl . -read /Users/root AuthenticationAuthority

Is your username listed there?
Code:
dscl . -read /Groups/admin GroupMembership

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.