Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I posted a number of scanned film images in a previous thread. Here are a number of digital photos (taken with a Canon PowerShot G2 and Panasonic DMC-FX7). Enjoy!

Singapore
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Seattle
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Around Big Sur on California's Highway 1
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Napa Valley
orig.jpg

Joseph Phelps vineyard
orig.jpg

Robert Mondavi
orig.jpg

Sterling Winery
orig.jpg

Sausalito
orig.jpg

San Jose from the hills
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Before the shutter clicked (Nikon D200)
orig.jpg

After the shutter clicked (Nikon D200)
orig.jpg

(Nikon D200)
orig.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The Apple Store San Fran
orig.jpg

An Apple store in Akihabara
orig.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Thanks all for looking and for your comments. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing other members' galleries. Hope some of you will share.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
FritzTheWonderM said:
Try changing your colorspace on the camera to AdobeRGB. See if that helps the colors look a little less neon.
Be more specific.

Of the 3 cameras used, only the Nikon D200 has the ability to change colorspace, and in fact the colorspace is already AdobeRGB. The three photos taken with this camera are marked as such. Of these three, the 3rd might appear neonic, but that's due to post-processing where shadows and highlights were tweaked and color temperature was cooled. For reference, here's an essentially uncorrected version of the original NEF, which is a bit lifeless:

orig.jpg

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
Sorry, guess that was a bit vague. :eek: The ones that the color looked a bit odd for me were the Big Sur coast line ones, which have a colorspace of sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Perhaps it is just me but I have found shooting with that profile on my Canon 20D makes the colors seem over saturated, or kind of neon. I later saw it refered to in a photo mag as "cartoon color" which I thought described it well.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I see what you mean. Those were taken with a Canon G2 as RAW, iirc, and converted to TIFF via software supplied with the camera. TIFFs were converted to JPEG with only highlight and shadow adjustments.

It was a lovely day along Big Sur and the colors in the photograph are actually pretty close to real!

If you get the chance, try driving along the western foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in April or May from King's Canyon to about 30 miles south. You will find extraordinary colors along the foothills as grasses and flowers of all varieties begin to resurface. In the mid-morning light when the shadows aren't too strong, it's a photographer's paradise.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I know where you are coming from. But to repeat a phrase that I have used time and again here; "tools for the job at hand".

With the right post processing, digital images can look more like film. But then the marketplace is demanding sharper, more saturated images. So in the end it is about meeting the demands of your customer or audience.

For myself living in the DC area, I would be tempted in going digital for a political demonstration, but I would rather go out with my Leica kit and some B&W film.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Chip NoVaMac said:
With the right post processing, digital images can look more like film.
...or truer to what the eye remembers seeing. Take, for example, the two versions of the NEF above. The post-processed version is much closer to what I remember the scene to be. When I first looked at the NEFs on my LCD monitor, my heart sank in disappointment -- the images lacked both contrast and drama that were abundant in the actual scene. Fortunately, a few minutes with ACDSee Pro 8.0 restored the images to life (though I think I've over-sharpened the thing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.