Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
I'm looking for a router/external hard drive setup to replace a failing Apple 3TB Time Capsule (ME182LL/A). I typically use my Time Capsule with Time Machine, but I'm finding that recently the hardware and software is becoming less and less reliable, which means that I'm open to new ideas.

One combination I'm considering is a Netgear NightHawk AC1900 combined with a WD easystore® 4TB or 8TB external hard drive. As far as software, I'm also thinking about switching from Time Machine to Carbon Copy Cloner.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I typically use my Time Capsule with Time Machine, but I'm finding that recently the hardware and software is becoming less and less reliable, which means that I'm open to new ideas."

My ideas:

DO switch from TM to either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
I predict you will be much more satisfied with the results afterwards.
Both are FREE to download and try for 30 days. Trying them costs you nothing except the time it takes to create the initial cloned volumes.

SuperDuper will create a "full backup" (i.e., a non-incremental backup) FOREVER without having to pay the registration.

CCC has the additional advantage of cloning the recovery partition, as well.

Re routing:
I'd suggest you start investigating a "mesh solution".
These look to be "the way of the future" for home networks.
I have the Linksys Velop (2 nodes) and it works well (2-story house, about 800sqft on each floor).
You can even buy a "1 node" setup if you don't have a lot of square footage, then add a second or third later on if things change.

If you have only one or two Macs, I'd forego the "NAS method" of backing up.
Get USB3 drives and "go direct" (i.e., connect directly to Mac that is being backed up).

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
Great suggestions. Thanks!

As far as the "mesh solution," I've heard mixed reviews. Some people are saying it's the future of Wifi. Others are saying it's just a fad and is only for people or businesses that have really large spaces.

As far as the backup, I actually do have a Synology NAS that I use for website development and movie streaming, but I've never used it for backups. The external hard drive connected via USB 3.0 seems to be the best solution, although I was planning on connecting it to the router instead of directly to my MacBook Pro. The main reasons are space and noise.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Great suggestions. Thanks!

The external hard drive connected via USB 3.0 seems to be the best solution, although I was planning on connecting it to the router instead of directly to my MacBook Pro. The main reasons are space and noise.

You could just buy a 4TB portable drive to backup to.... that would be quieter and take up less room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.