Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robfoll

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Anyone else getting this? I am running Big Sur 11.3 Beta (20E5210c) although the problem predates the beta

My MBP runs smoothly after a restart, then I get beachballs in Safari, then the whole machine slows down and I find Kernel Task running at 1500% to 5000% !@@!!@ CPU usage.

Sometimes the Mac crashes sometimes it staggers on slowly until I reboot

Have reported to Apple Dev about no feedback so far

Attachments

• M1 Kernels 17:3:21.png
    M1 Kernels 17:3:21.png
    334.4 KB · Views: 780
  • M1 Kernels2  17:3:21.png
    M1 Kernels2 17:3:21.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 340

5piN

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Same issue here and can't figure out what's causing it. Its getting annoying now!

Found any solutions?

robfoll

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Same issue here and can't figure out what's causing it. Its getting annoying now!

Found any solutions?
None at all appears to be partly linked to Safari but not 100% - Reported to Apple Dev but an inconclusive response and less than 10 reports noted. Plan to try a clean install on an external drive, boot from that and see what happens? Happening on all betas so for and only on my M1

5piN

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
None at all appears to be partly linked to Safari but not 100% - Reported to Apple Dev but an inconclusive response and less than 10 reports noted. Plan to try a clean install on an external drive, boot from that and see what happens? Happening on all betas so for and only on my M1
Okay update I'm hoping 11.4 fixes this as it seems to have fixed the crazy read/writes with Big Sur! Also I switched over from Safari & Edge to Brave & Firefox.

I've not had any issues since 11.4 but its only been a few days and I haven't had a long sessions yet!

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Anyone else getting this? I am running Big Sur 11.3 Beta (20E5210c) although the problem predates the beta

My MBP runs smoothly after a restart, then I get beachballs in Safari, then the whole machine slows down and I find Kernel Task running at 1500% to 5000% !@@!!@ CPU usage.

Sometimes the Mac crashes sometimes it staggers on slowly until I reboot

Have reported to Apple Dev about no feedback so far
What activity app is that. Anything above 800% on M1 doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: satcomer

5piN

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Okay I upgraded to a 14 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro and was still getting the issue much to my annoyance. This would only happen when extracting multiple files to a SMB share. After some testing and switching over to AFP the issue has stopped and I have had no crashing.

Obviously this must be a bug with SMB implementation in Mac OS and Apple Silicon. My intel MacBook 12 never had any issues with same workload and SMB.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Extremely high kernel_task CPU usage is a classic symptom of the computer thinking the CPU is overheating, and is used as a dummy process to deny CPU usage to real processes. (This may, however, not be the only reason.)
Suggest check using an app like Macs Fan Control or TG Pro or iStat to see if any temperatures are reported haywire.

robfoll

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
FYI a total clean wipe and reinstall of Monterey by Apple sorted the Kernel Task problem, may have been a hangover from a beta install BUT SSD life is down to 24% left and falling.

cheezypuffs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I'm still dealing with this issue and it's getting really annoying. Last couple days it wrote 7.2TB to disk (kernel_task)
It'll happen every few weeks at total random. Apple is "trying" to figure it out but not making progress. I wish they'd just replace the damn thing since it's clearly been faulty since day 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.