Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morphodone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
So I went for a jog this morning and I came to the sudden realization that the new home button on the iPhone 7 won't work underneath a running case.

Not sure what to do about that as most running cases have a clear plastic cover to hold the phone.

Considering taking the phone back and just living with my iPhone 5s or getting the 6s since it still has the mechanical home button plus the normal headphone jack.

Any recommendations?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
You could if there were slide to unlock but alas there is not...

Press power to wake then swipe left to right and you will see notifications etc swipe again and you get the unlock screen. Pop in your unlock code and your in.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Can't you cut out a hole in the plastic vinyl to access the home button?

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Here's a way to do it:

1. Press sleep wake button
  2. Swipe to the right to get to the notifications screen
  3. Tap on the search bar that's above the notifications
  4. Select an app from the Siri suggestions or search the app you want to use
  5. Passcode screen will appear

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Here's a way to do it:

1. Press sleep wake button
  2. Swipe to the right to get to the notifications screen
  3. Tap on the search bar that's above the notifications
  4. Select an app from the Siri suggestions or search the app you want to use
  5. Passcode screen will appear

Seriously? While running? It should be simple enough to do without taking your eyes away from the path.

j4.jpg

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Any running case that supports touchID should work. I run with my phone in a perfectly sized jewelry zip-lock bag and both the touchID and, now, the new home button work fine through the bag.

Reactions: morphodone

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I went for a jog this morning and I came to the sudden realization that the new home button on the iPhone 7 won't work underneath a running case.

Not sure what to do about that as most running cases have a clear plastic cover to hold the phone.

Considering taking the phone back and just living with my iPhone 5s or getting the 6s since it still has the mechanical home button plus the normal headphone jack.

Any recommendations?
Two options (both available in Settings>General>Accessibility:
  • Turn on "Assistive Touch"
  • Turn on "Rest Finger to Open"
Though, if you aren't happy with the phone, don't keep the phone. Pretty simple.

morphodone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Any running case that supports touchID should work. I run with my phone in a perfectly sized jewelry zip-lock bag and both the touchID and, now, the new home button work fine through the bag.
Did not realize they made such a thing. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.