Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
my wife boosted up her iMac Pro years ago.
She's a print designer only - not doing any fancy video or 3d or AI stuff that might need some real grunt.

But we love the 27" screen - is not too big, not too little, but just right.

End of life

Any ideas how long it will last before it becomes incompatible with Adobe etc?
iMacPro 2017 - 3.2 Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Some googling that made me nervous that EOL might be sooner than I thought:

That iMac can run Ventura. Ventura isn't the current version of macOS, but it will be (roughly) two years before it falls out of "the most recent three."
You could keep using the iMac even after then – though once Ventura is no longer one of the "most recent three", there won't be any security updates from Apple, and you may get cut off from applications from the likes of Adobe and Microsoft.

Hardware recommendations?
What would be good to replace iMacPro 2017 - 3.2 Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - and give a little future-proofing but not too much overkill or overspend for a print designer?

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
RAM: 64 BG 2666 MHz DDR4

A mini?
Studio?

Do we stick with Apple monitors?
Love some advice!

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
If she has been happy with the iMac Pro all this time, why change a setup that works well for her?

One advantage is that it can run older macOS versions. But if it has been updated to Sonoma, that point is moot.
Even if AS macs are faster, the upgrades are still very expensive for memory and storage.

Reactions: eclipse

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I think it will be a while. I have the original 5K iMac I was using up till 2 years ago. Only stopped using it for work as I was briefly used to a Windows laptop. Thankfully on an M1 Max now. So my iMac was from 2014 I believe and still had the latest Adobe updates and could not go beyond Big Sur. Your iMac Pro can stills support the latest Mac OS version and with that is still supported for a long time.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Thanks guys for your questions. You're right - I should have included her current specs so I updated the opening post for ease of reference for any new readers. Thanks again!

Reactions: Regulus67

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
What would be good to replace iMacPro 2017 - 3.2 Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - and give a little future-proofing but not too much overkill or overspend for a print designer?

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
RAM: 64 BG 2666 MHz DDR4

You can probably go for Mac Studio new but iPowerresale has them available at nice prices:

But then you need to buy a screen, so that's $$$ extra:

You can still run Sequoia on your iMac Pro as well according to this:

So you have some time left to decide. I wouldn't recommend MacOS 15 right at the moment, still lots of things not working. Some of them like screen sharing is really annoying. I also had problems with the compress/convert images from the Quick Actions not working properly, something that's fairly minor but means I have to do extra steps to get around it.

erihp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
get an m3 imac from a big box store. test it out, run the workflows and see how it performs.

then gut the inside of the 5k imac, replace its guts with an LCD controller, and now you can still use the old imac as a great 5k display!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
then gut the inside of the 5k imac, replace its guts with an LCD controller, and now you can still use the old imac as a great 5k display!
Why would anyone do that if the machine is in perfect working order?

A weaker iMac 27" 5k is a good candidate for a DIY 5k Display, but not the iMac Pro.
I built one myself, when my iMac from late 2025 died.
Better to sell the machine, and purchase a very cheap iMac 27" 5k. Especially one with a slow fusion drive. For a DIY project.

erihp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Why would anyone do that if the machine is in perfect working order?

A weaker iMac 27" 5k is a good candidate for a DIY 5k Display, but not the iMac Pro.
I built one myself, when my iMac from late 2025 died.
Better to sell the machine, and purchase a very cheap iMac 27" 5k. Especially one with a slow fusion drive. For a DIY project.
Yeah I meant after it’s useful life of course. I imagine it will run Sequoia just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.