Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnchapin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
On both old watch 4 and new watch 6, double tapping to record running segments is haphazard. Tried tapping fast, slow, lightly, firmly, tip of finger, finger pad, finger dry, finger sweaty, but nothing seems to work consistently. About 2/3rds of time it works. 1/6th time it goes off where I don't want it to go even though I try my best not to swipe my finger. 1/6th time it doesn't do anything. I end up trying to remember which intervals it took 2 to 10 sec to end a segment when entering data in a spreadsheet. Any hints on how one is supposed to double tap?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
On both old watch 4 and new watch 6, double tapping to record running segments is haphazard. Tried tapping fast, slow, lightly, firmly, tip of finger, finger pad, finger dry, finger sweaty, but nothing seems to work consistently. About 2/3rds of time it works. 1/6th time it goes off where I don't want it to go even though I try my best not to swipe my finger. 1/6th time it doesn't do anything. I end up trying to remember which intervals it took 2 to 10 sec to end a segment when entering data in a spreadsheet. Any hints on how one is supposed to double tap?
I can’t make it work. I switched to iSmoothRun, which lets you set a physical button press for a lap/segment.

Johnchapin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
What was wrong was holding the watch with thumb and middle finger by the watch corners and tapping with index finger. The watch must think I'm touching out near the corners. Since I've starting resting my thumb and middle finger away from the watch, the double tap works every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.