Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnJie x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I bought an iPhone 6S Plus in November 2015. In the back and near the sim tray there are several rust marks. I used a back cover since day 01 so I couldn't have scratched the phone nor matter what. Was there any other cases like this? Would Apple replace my phone? I only have the 1 year warranty they provide with purchase.

On another note, does apple cover accidental screen damages for free during the 1 year warranty period or would i need to buy a apple care protection plan?

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Apple does not cover accidental screen damage during the 1 year warranty period. Mechanical damage is never covered by warranty.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Got any pictures? You phone is aluminum and should not rust. It can corrode. Accidental screen damages are not covered under the standard warranty.

If you have not removed your case since day one you likely got grit or debris between the case and phone and that may have harmed the finish.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I bought an iPhone 6S Plus in November 2015. In the back and near the sim tray there are several rust marks. I used a back cover since day 01 so I couldn't have scratched the phone nor matter what. Was there any other cases like this? Would Apple replace my phone? I only have the 1 year warranty they provide with purchase.

On another note, does apple cover accidental screen damages for free during the 1 year warranty period or would i need to buy a apple care protection plan?
Photos, please?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Rust... Photos plz because aluminium cannot 'rust'

Last edited:

AnJie x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Whatever this is? I always used a back cover so I didn't get it scratched. So yeah?
[doublepost=1459181402][/doublepost]
Got any pictures? You phone is aluminum and should not rust. It can corrode. Accidental screen damages are not covered under the standard warranty.

If you have not removed your case since day one you likely got grit or debris between the case and phone and that may have harmed the finish.

I remove the case and wipe the phone once a while.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,736

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Whatever this is? I always used a back cover so I didn't get it scratched. So yeah?
[doublepost=1459181402][/doublepost]

I remove the case and wipe the phone once a while.

Yep another thread on this. It is almost like some fungus is eating the anodized surface. Strange indeed. I have seen similar markings inside of lenses that has a fungus eating the coatings.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnJie x

AnJie x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Yep another thread on this. It is almost like some fungus is eating the anodized surface. Strange indeed. I have seen similar markings inside of lenses that has a fungus eating the coatings.

Would apple do a replacement if I do a a complaint to them? It's still under the 1 year warranty.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Would apple do a replacement if I do a a complaint to them? It's still under the 1 year warranty.
It depends on whether they deem it to be "normal wear and tear" or "manufacturer defect." This determination may depend on that Apple employee on that day.

That being said, it doesn't seem typical and hasn't been seen often on out outside of one very long thread which was already mentioned above. My gut says you could get a replacement. Just be honest and polite.

AnJie x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
It depends on whether they deem it to be "normal wear and tear" or "manufacturer defect." This determination may depend on that Apple employee on that day.

That being said, it doesn't seem typical and hasn't been seen often on out outside of one very long thread which was already mentioned above. My gut says you could get a replacement. Just be honest and polite.

Thanks
[doublepost=1459217026][/doublepost]
Anything's possible, but why do you expect them to? You're responsible for physical damage or wear and tear not hte manufacturer.

I used a back cover since day 01. There's no chance of me scratching my phone.

Reactions: willmtaylor

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Thanks
[doublepost=1459217026][/doublepost]

I used a back cover since day 01. There's no chance of me scratching my phone.

You can't prove that to them or anyone else. Can you? It's just your word. You may be telling the truth, but then someone else who has never used a cover may take a phone like that to Apple with a cover on that he just bought.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It's a problem many people are suffering from. It has to do with defects in the anodization process. My phone just started to show minor cracking near the screws on the bottom.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's 'pitting' and can happen to any anodised aluminium surface. Usually seen on older MacBooks.

Reactions: willmtaylor

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's 'pitting' and can happen to any anodised aluminium surface. Usually seen on older MacBooks.
That's what I was thinking, it reminds me of the MBP's issues on this.

The OP still may have trouble convincing Apple that its not his fault.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I have the same problem on my 6S Plus, mainly on the text where it says iPhone S blah blah. I always use leather apple cases so tbh I just ignore it/forget it's even there.

EDIT: Here is a pic

cN0ANXG.png

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh Poo! I just checked and I have something similar but on the left edge of my iPhone. Very light. Thought it was a scuff at first but there's another not on the edge I see. I've always used cases since day one. I did use a hard plastic case for a couple of days but quickly took it off and inspected for damage and there was none.

I still have my 6 Plus packaged up somewhere to be sold or given to my sister-in-law if she decides she can't stand her 16 GB storage struggle anymore. That has no marks at all. Oh well I guess I'll be heading over to the thread linked to this one.

My iPhones are always cased and inspected and polished when cases are changed. So I'm going to take a chance and trust the OP on this. I'm currently using an Apple case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.