Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwwchr1sde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Germany
Hi,

i just got a new Watch S5 and gave my old S0 to my Dad to use along with his iPhone5. We both have read that the S0 works fine along with the iPhone5. Now we tried to set up and pair the watch with his iPhone but we can’t get it to work. We get the message that the software onthe iPhone is outdated and needs to be updated but he already has the latest iOS software on the iPhone5.

I used the S0 along with my iPhone 6 and X and kept the watch always updated.

Is there a way to get the constellation to work?

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Your s0 has probably watch os 4 on it. ios 10 only works with watch os 3.
Contact Apple Care for a downgrade.
They will send you a box and pick up your watch for a downgrade.
They did the same some months ago, when I gave mine to an iphone 5c user.

And I got very lucky. First time they just sent it back doing nothing. Contacted Apple again, sent it in a second time and got an AW2 back on watch os 4 ?
Called again Apple, third pick up and this time I got the aw2 back on watch os 3

Btw for free ?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Your s0 has probably watch os 4 on it. ios 10 only works with watch os 3.
Contact Apple Care for a downgrade.
They will send you a box and pick up your watch for a downgrade.
They did the same some months ago, when I gave mine to an iphone 5c user.

And I got very lucky. First time they just sent it back doing nothing. Contacted Apple again, sent it in a second time and got an AW2 back on watch os 4 ?
Called again Apple, third pick up and this time I got the aw2 back on watch os 3

Btw for free ?
How much was this in total for you?

Thanks

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
As I said. For free. ?

Just called Apple and explained that I couldn’t pair the watch with my 5c (they wanted the serial of the phone) and then they arranged a free „repair“ for a downgrade.

The other thing that I ended up with a new Apple Watch series 2 was just luck.

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
Hi,

i just got a new Watch S5 and gave my old S0 to my Dad to use along with his iPhone5. We both have read that the S0 works fine along with the iPhone5. Now we tried to set up and pair the watch with his iPhone but we can’t get it to work. We get the message that the software onthe iPhone is outdated and needs to be updated but he already has the latest iOS software on the iPhone5.

I used the S0 along with my iPhone 6 and X and kept the watch always updated.

Is there a way to get the constellation to work?
If you always kept the S0 apple watch up to date while you were using it, then you surely had it running watchOS 4.3.2 (the last software update it ever got) when you handed it down to your Dad. Unfortunately, that makes it incompatible with any device older than an iphone 5s, such as an iphone 5. All devices older than the iphone 5s stopped getting software updates after iOS 10.3.3 (except for the iOS 10.3.4 patch released last summer), which means they can only pair with an apple watch running watchOS 3 or earlier. As someone suggested, get in touch with apple to see if you can get the watch replaced with one running an earlier software version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.