Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
I've got a S3+LTE that I've just started to set up because I finally have a compatible phone (iPhone X), and I can't seem to get as much music on it as I did on my S0.

How much of the 16GB is available for storing music? WatchOS 3 let me set the storage limit to 2GB, but I don't see that option with WatchOS 4. I would have assumed it would be at least twice as much space (and hopefully more than that because the OS overhead should be the same, rather than double).

Another part of the problem might be that once I finally moved from my 64GB iPhone 5 to a 256GB iPhone X, I took advantage of the opportunity expand my music bitrate to 256kbps from 128kbps (my library is stored lossless). Overkill, maybe, but I've go the space on the phone, may as well take advantage of it.

Does the Watch receive music as it's stored on the phone? Do I need to set the bitrate stored on my phone to accommodate the much smaller capacity of my Watch? That would be kind of dumb...

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
According to Apple, the AW3 + lte will handle 8gbs of music download. I don’t have an answer regarding bitrate and it impacting music download to the Watch. A quick call to Apple should answer your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.