Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argofx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Hi! Long time lurker/reader here, but first time poster :) Recently I've been experiencing a weird S4 watch issue and was wondering if anyone had the same issue or know of any potential solutions. I did a google search but it wasn't the same exact issue. It might just be that my watch is finally getting old.

A few weeks ago, my battery started to drain a lot faster. It happened instantly and wasn't gradual which was weird. One day, my S4 can last about 1.5 days and my battery health was at 89%. Then the very next day, it only lasted 9 hours. I've had this watch since day 1 of launch and the battery health still shows 89% even though it only lasts about 9 hours before needing a charge vs. 1.5 days. I chalked that up as old age on the S4 watch despite the battery health percentage.

Then in the last 2 days, the touchscreen would become unresponsive after a 6 mile run. The only way I could pause the workout was pressing the crown and the side button. Then after waiting like 5 minutes, the only way I could end the workout was to use Siri and ask her to end it. I also go on a 2 mile walk and a 30 minute strength training session, but the watch doesn't become unresponsive with those workouts. It's only when I go for a long run. I don't see any sweat underneath the case though.

I also updated to watchOS 8.7 which didn't resolve the issue.

Just wondering if anyone had similar issues or if there are any solutions. If not, I guess I'll just keep ending the workout with Siri and replace the watch when the new one comes out.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I haven't seen anything like that but maybe just reset and re-pair the watch, don't restore from backup. It might be that a clean reset will clear it up. It's not convenient, but it's cheaper than a new watch :)

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
Could the water seal be finally going? I just noticed on my s4 that it becomes unresponsive sometimes during an outside walk that I attributed to sweat since the screen will have droplets on it. I wear a long sleeve shirt for UV protection and if it covers my watch I start to encounter problems. If I keep it uncovered it hasn’t failed yet. This is a new problem for me since I have been walking for 2 years and it just started.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I would say your S4 is probably about to die, what with all the sweaty runs you have accumulated (there's no way you wouldn't sweat on a 6 mile run!!).

My S4 recently experienced similar issues with the touch screen behaving all by itself as if someone was touching it, after a swim (it has been used for swimming and other sweaty workouts, hundreds of times in its lifetime).

The gaskets inside the watch (which protect the innards from water ingress) aren't designed to last forever and will eventually stop doing what they were designed to do (i.e. keep water out), and will potentially cause some of the issues you are describing.

Argofx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Thanks, everyone, for your tips and advice! I really appreciate it and I’m going to give the ideas a try!

I think Dino F might be right about the gaskets. I have noticed some black gunk around the edge of the display and body. At first I thought it was gunk from the sweat but it doesn’t come off easily. I’m going to try a waterproof / full body case that I have and see if that solves the issue on my run later. I’ll post an update after I try that.

Reactions: Dino F

Argofx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
It's really interesting. When I popped my watch into a rugged all around protection (waterproof) case, the screen was still responsive after my 6 mile workout. So it looks like the reason is due to the gaskets failing. One would think that Apple would have designed them to last forever (like the mechanical diver watches) or at least last longer than 4 years. I wonder if the newer watches have better gaskets.

A few years back, my wife called Apple tech support because her battery in her Macbook pro expanded and cracked the touchpad. It even started smoking. Apple tech support said that was normal so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the watch has gaskets that fail 🙈

At least the waterproof case works for now :)

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's really interesting. When I popped my watch into a rugged all around protection (waterproof) case, the screen was still responsive after my 6 mile workout. So it looks like the reason is due to the gaskets failing. One would think that Apple would have designed them to last forever (like the mechanical diver watches) or at least last longer than 4 years. I wonder if the newer watches have better gaskets.

A few years back, my wife called Apple tech support because her battery in her Macbook pro expanded and cracked the touchpad. It even started smoking. Apple tech support said that was normal so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the watch has gaskets that fail 🙈

At least the waterproof case works for now :)

Which diving watches have seals that last forever?

Argofx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Haha in my mind, easily serviceable / serviceable = lasts forever. It’s ok. An Apple Watch cost a fraction of a Rolex so I’ll just replace my Apple Watch when the new one comes out. I’ll just use this one as a sleep tracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.