Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Hello,

I own a Series 4 44mm GPS for a few days now, coming from a S2, which I used for about 2 years. Anyway, the S4 was paired as a new watch, I did not restore a backup.

I noticed, that the S4 battery time is much lower than on my S2. It consumes constantly about 8-10% per hour, only when wearing, no workouts or playing with it. The usage stats show a use time of about 35% of standby time. How is this possible, only from wearing the watch? With this usage count I will hardly make it through the day. The S2 took me easily to next day evening.

I did all the tricks from the battery-life thread (except unpairing), nothing seems to make it better.

Any suggestions? o_O

Archetim.

Last edited:

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
The S4 can drain the battery more quickly, than previous models.
One of the factors is the watchface, you are using. Particularly the modular ones, constantly updating the "gadgets" do this job.

I would try one of the simple watchfaces, you already know from the S2 for a couple of days and see, what happens. Do also switch off all the options in "Training", you are not using.
Also try to switch off the automatic activation by raising your wrist. (...ok, that is a bit unconvenient, but i always use it that was)

Reactions: Archetim

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm at 40%, starting with 88% 7hrs 20mins ago :(
Usage Time is 111 mins, but I really did not "use" the watch that long. Maybe the automatic activation counts that.

The watchface may be a reason, actually I use the Infograph analogue with all complications filled. I already deactivated BAR for most of the apps and the workout-options too.

Will now try the "simple" watchface, that I have used on my S2.

Archetim

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Another 8% gone since I switched the watchface (1,5 hrs). This is definitely not normal, I will reset and re-pair the watch tonight. If this is not helping, I would ask Apple for replacement.

Archetim

Reactions: axantas

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, not normal

I can be between 66% to 75% after all day of moderate usage. I still charge it overnite.

Reactions: Archetim

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
As announced I yesterday reseted the watch and paired it again with my phone. Picked from charger today at 8:00 AM and now at 9:45 only 2 percent lost. Using "Utility"-Watchface, Infograph is not installed on the watch, for now.

Looks much better now, thanks for your replies :)

Will check later this day, if Infograph truly has that high impact on battery, or if I had another problem, which is now solved by the reset.

UPDATE 12:40 PM The watch hast lost only 9% in almost five hours. I think, it is now in a normal condition.

Archetim

Last edited:

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
I love the infograph face and would hate not using it. Question: if you have several faces on your watch, say infograph, utility, and another, do each of those faces concurrently use battery power although the other two aren’t in use?

Archetim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
I have several faces on the watch this time: Utility (which is active), Activity analogue, Simple, Fog, Fire & Water (I hope I found the correct english designations).

Imo, the inactive faces do not consume any battery, since the complications on these faces are only updated, when a face becomes the active one.

Archetim

Reactions: Beachmusic18

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
I love the infograph face and would hate not using it. Question: if you have several faces on your watch, say infograph, utility, and another, do each of those faces concurrently use battery power although the other two aren’t in use?

Only the complications on your active watch face will be constantly updated.

Reactions: Beachmusic18

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
As announced I yesterday reseted the watch and paired it again with my phone. Picked from charger today at 8:00 AM and now at 9:45 only 2 percent lost. Using "Utility"-Watchface, Infograph is not installed on the watch, for now.

Will check later this day, if Infograph truly has that high impact on battery, or if I had another problem, which is now solved by the reset.

UPDATE 12:40 PM The watch hast lost only 9% in almost five hours. I think, it is now in a normal condition.

Archetim

I've been working on this usage problem for a long time. I've also tried and tested everything and have finally figured it out.

I see you're doing better so far today but chances are the usage will spike again at some point. The best way I found to stop the usage spike is to put the watch in airplane mode. It seems there is an issue when data is turned on. It might not happen right away but at some point the data transfer process seems to get stuck. Almost like a data transfer process starts and does not stop properly. You'll find if you put the watch in airplane mode when you are sleeping, the usage pattern will stay persistent during that time. I've also tested full days in this mode and there has never been a problem under that circumstance. Secondly Infograph uses more battery than other faces.

Here's an example of Airplane Mode cycle.

Usage: 2 hours, 22 minutes
Standby: 2 days, 5 hours
Battery: 32%

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Another 8% gone since I switched the watchface (1,5 hrs). This is definitely not normal, I will reset and re-pair the watch tonight. If this is not helping, I would ask Apple for replacement.

Archetim

I'd also suggest your drain is not normal.

My regular face is the new s4 modular with activity, workout, temperature, UV, calendar and music widgets, and mine draws maybe 5-6% per hour during "normal" days. I.e., when i'm not constantly playing with it, but it is notifying me of stuff and i use it to tell time, glance at it for info, etc.

You may have a particularly power hungry widget on it... i'd uninstall every widget from it that isn't standard apple and see how you go. Then re-add the third party ones, one by one and see what happens.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
I've been working on this usage problem for a long time. I've also tried and tested everything and have finally figured it out.

I see you're doing better so far today but chances are the usage will spike again at some point. The best way I found to stop the usage spike is to put the watch in airplane mode. It seems there is an issue when data is turned on. It might not happen right away but at some point the data transfer process seems to get stuck. Almost like a data transfer process starts and does not stop properly. You'll find if you put the watch in airplane mode when you are sleeping, the usage pattern will stay persistent during that time. I've also tested full days in this mode and there has never been a problem under that circumstance. Secondly Infograph uses more battery than other faces.

Here's an example of Airplane Mode cycle.

Usage: 2 hours, 22 minutes
Standby: 2 days, 5 hours
Battery: 32%

I'm gonna try your trick even though I don't have any cellular plan activated to begin with. I'll get back in a couple days with the results.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I'm gonna try your trick even though I don't have any cellular plan activated to begin with. I'll get back in a couple days with the results.

I don't have a cellular acount activated as well. As you know the data is transmitted via wifi.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012

Archetim

I’ve been experiencing this problem periodically to, I’m interested did this fix it long term for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.