Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
Hello everyone, I want to get others input on what device should I get when my contract ends in November, or if I pay it off early.

I've been looking at the S7 ever since it came out and have been thinking of getting that mainly for the expandable storage and just the overall specs of how good it is, especially with it being close to it's brother the S7 Edge. It does seem like a good phone for the amount of things you get with it.

Though I also have looked at the Nexus 6P, a great 'pure' Android phone that has good build quality and all around specs like the S7. My manager and his wife got the 5X and 6P respectively and he said that the 6P is a very good device for his wife and that he recommends it, especially since it's a bit less expensive than the Galaxy phones. Though it doesn't come with expandable memory, it also has USB-C, which has entrigued me since it has been coming out with new products like motherboards and phones. The thing that puts me off from the current Nexus devices is the fact that Google will be announcing the new Nexus devices later this year and I don't know if I should wait for those and see what they have to offer.

So what would you guys recommend? appreciate any feedback that you give me and thank you for that! Hope your day/night is a good one!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Since it sounds like you don't need a new device until November, I would wait to see what the new Nexus offers. If you don't like the new Nexus, then the 6P will likely be much cheaper and you can pick that up.

You didn't mention your current device, but if you need a device now and decide to pay off your existing contract to upgrade earlier, the S7 is a great device as for the reasons mentioned. The only thing that bothers me about the S7 is that it doesn't use USB-C.

Reactions: MusicaofTrance

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
Since it sounds like you don't need a new device until November, I would wait to see what the new Nexus offers. If you don't like the new Nexus, then the 6P will likely be much cheaper and you can pick that up.

You didn't mention your current device, but if you need a device now and decide to pay off your existing contract to upgrade earlier, the S7 is a great device as for the reasons mentioned. The only thing that bothers me about the S7 is that it doesn't use USB-C.
Very true, I could wait for the next Nexus and save my money for not ending the contract early, since November is when it ends.

Oh sorry! I currently am using an iPhone 6 now as my device. I also agree that no USB-C on the S7 bothers me, especially since they came out with the Note 7 with the connector on that device.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
No question, at this point just wait for the HTC Nexus Marlin. Not too far away from release. Sept / Oct.

It will have flagship specs, have the HTC 10 style build quality, and design sort of. Will be first to run the latest and greatest Android version.

To me is a no brainer, the new Nexus.

I'm currently on the Nexus 6P, and i LOVE it still. Previous recent phones I've owned this year;. HTC 10, LG G5, and Note 5. And IMO I like the 6P best of all of those

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
No question, at this point just wait for the HTC Nexus Marlin. Not too far away from release. Sept / Oct.

It will have flagship specs, have the HTC 10 style build quality, and design sort of. Will be first to run the latest and greatest Android version.

I'm currently on the Nexus 6P, and i LOVE it still. Previous recent phones I've owned this year;. HTC 10, LG G5, and Note 5. And IMO I like the 6P best of all of those
Very true as well! HTC does build some good looking phones as well, so that's a good incentive to wait for theirs! I thought the Nexus lineup was released in November of last year, but better to hear its possible earlier to know!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Very true as well! HTC does build some good looking phones as well, so that's a good incentive to wait for theirs! I thought the Nexus lineup was released in November of last year, but better to hear its possible earlier to know!

Last year was an earlier release timeframe. The Nexus 6P and 5X both came out end of September. And the year before that the Nexus 6 i believe was like mid October or so.

I would guess these next gen Nexus phones release around same timeframe. Late Sept / early Oct

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
Last year was an earlier release timeframe. The Nexus 6P and 5X both came out end of September. And the year before that the Nexus 6 i believe was like mid October or so.

I would guess these next gen Nexus phones release around same timeframe. Late Sept / early Oct
Ah I see, that's good though that it's earlier than I though it would be. I also heard that there'll be multiple HTC models for the Nexus?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you can, it's always to your advantage to wait. In October/November, you'll have a much better idea of how ever major manufacturer's device compares. Best buy in the time when manufacturers want you to buy devices.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Waiting is your best bet, although I predict the Nexus device will be nothing to get excited about, especially if HTC is involved. You will also be able to buy the other phones that much cheaper. Although if it were me I'd choose the S7, the 6p has some flaws that I couldn't deal with.

MusicaofTrance

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota, U.S.A.
If you can, it's always to your advantage to wait. In October/November, you'll have a much better idea of how ever major manufacturer's device compares. Best buy in the time when manufacturers want you to buy devices.
You have a good point in waiting! I think I shall do that and save from paying off my contact early, thank you for your input and taking the time to respond to this thread!
Waiting is your best bet, although I predict the Nexus device will be nothing to get excited about, especially if HTC is involved. You will also be able to buy the other phones that much cheaper. Although if it were me I'd choose the S7, the 6p has some flaws that I couldn't deal with.
Oh dang that sucks to hear! What were some of the flaws with the 6P you had if it's okay of me to ask?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Forget any of those and go for broke..Note7. All-in.

Samsung made me an offer I can't refuse. 256gb micro-sd card when that is valued at $250. A SanDisk one can cost $210. AT&T offers either Gear Fit 2 or Galaxy Tab E. Not into wearables except that Gear VR headset, so will take the Tab.

Type-C, Gorilla Glass 5, and best display in the market. Might also be the last QHD Samsung flagship before we get into UHD with the S8. It still takes time for companies to optimize their battery life to that more power hungry resolution. Samsung seems to have mastered battery life with Quad HD unlike Oppo and LG which brought it out first back in 2014. While Samsung optimization produced long video playback and Note 4 didn't suffer like the G3, G4, and G5 do. Don't expect long battery life on early phones with 4K display.

Note7 is the one to get. The Note series isn't as popular as the S line but most true phone connoisseurs know it is a better all-arounder than the S. Note7 is just reclaiming its throne for the series since Note5 was neglected for not having the dual-curved displays like its S-brothers. If the S7 edge is the 2016 appetizer, Note7 is the main course.

Note7 (black onyx for me)
256gb micro-sd + 64gb internal
Best camera from S7
Best display
Best design
Gear VR + Netflix VR or Hulu
= pure win!

Why settle for anything less? Nexus won't even come close except maybe in bland stock software. I doubt HTC will have the same level camera quality or same battery optimization as Samsung. They struggle with Full HD, so imagine QHD? HTC lost their touch years ago. The back of Marlin looks hideous. Note7 will get Nougat in a few months and curious what multi-window will look on it when the Note series has had it for years. The $500 of free stuff offsets the $850 price tag. No need to wait. Get it.

This is THE ONE to get, folks. Best smartphone of 2016 although S7 edge will win the awards and the S line is generally more popular in sales. Still stuck on standard micro-usb though and weaker Gorilla Glass 4. Note7 will be the best multimedia player and productivity smartphone of all-time.. or until the Note8 is out.

S7 edge - Great
Note7 - Better than S7 edge

S8 edge - Better than Note7
Note8 - Better than S8 edge

Samsung flagship for first half of year - S
Samsung flagship for second half of year - Note

Every six months, just look at the pattern. But Note has always been better to me because of that S-Pen, slightly updated specs later in the year, and higher battery ratings. Note7 is only the first time a Note got the dual-curved display so now it looks as sexy as the S edge phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You have a good point in waiting! I think I shall do that and save from paying off my contact early, thank you for your input and taking the time to respond to this thread!

Oh dang that sucks to hear! What were some of the flaws with the 6P you had if it's okay of me to ask?

My main gripes were the screen was not bright enough, and the auto brightness was terrible. Also it was just so darn huge compared to my Note 5. No wireless charging, no OIS, etc.

If price is an issue you may want to consider the Note 5. You can get it off swappa for probably not much more than $300, and there are tons of carrier deals for it since they are clearing it out. Phenomenal phone which still soundly trounces many of today and tomorrows flagships even though it's a year old.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm going to echo what somebody else said and say the Note 7 is probably the best Android phone out there right now. And they've got toned down how heavy TW is over the last year or two.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Chinese phones such as the Nexus still haven't matched the quality of Samsung. Doesn't hurt to wait to see the new Nexus which will probably be better than the 6P but probably still behind even Samsung's S6 generation.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I also vote for wait. Your contract ends in November which gives the reviewers plenty of time to have a look at the two new nexus'. The note will have has some SW updates to iron out any teething problems and the s7 will probably have some discounts.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere

Unless having the very latest model is crucial to one's happiness, I'd suggest the Nexus 6P.

Well sorted out, no worries, a great deal, just buy one and enjoy it. Mine is just stellar, I'm completely satisfied. It's a bargain too, $475 compared to $840 iPhone 6S Plus.

Android is my first choice.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't know if this is a generic Android feature or if it is specific to Note 7 or all Samsung smart phones, but this morning I discovered my phone could give me a hearing test and then adjust the sound to compensate for deficiencies in my hearing, of which I was not fully aware.

I didn't get to test it for phone calls but it made a difference using my Beats Studio Wireless and Google Music. Using the same headphones on my iPhone or on my Note 7 before I used this adjustment, my music sounded kind of murky. It definitely boosted the quality for me.

There were also other adjustments to add concert Hall effect and boost vocals or instrumentals. I could notice some difference. I thought this was cool because it's something I never saw an option for on iOS. I'm not saying it doesn't exist on iOS. I just never found it if it does. For all the talk of iOS being an easier OS, I'm finding Android/Touchwiz easier to explore.

Samsung flagships also offer the option to take motion photos. They turn out really good! Much better than Live Photo on IOS and have the bonus of being able to be shared intact as a little movie file and playable on Android or iOS devices. Because I have kids and pets and this type of motion photo feature is great at capturing the cuteness, Samsung gets a nod from me as far as Android devices are concerned.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The thing is hardware comes and goes, it's the software that's most important.

Most important question is, how long do you keep your phone's ? If you change it every 6 to 12 months like a total tech nerd, then get whatever.

But if you keep your phone awhile, then for sure software updates trump hardware. So a Nexus is far better purchase for long-term use over a Samsung, which seems to get forgotten about a year later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.